What material do you use for the roof of a masonry firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stigwort

Sep 20, 2017
USA
Hi!

Any advice much appreciated. What material do you use for the roof of a masonry firebox?

The discussion and comments here: http://www.livingstonemasons.com/ins...door-fireplace seem to indicate that you can just use cement for the firebox roof.

If regular cement is used for the roof, not refractory cement, should the cement be painted with high-temperature paint such as Rutland or AW Perkins?

Thanks!

p.s. The bottom and sides of the firebox would be fire brick with refractory mortar. It is the roof of the firebox that I am concerned with. I am referring to the ceiling (the gray, curved, top of the firebox) of the firebox, and I have attached a picture. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 20170920_071839.jpg
    20170920_071839.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 617
Is that a picture of a pizza oven? A fireplace wouldn't have a ceiling.

Regular concrete wont hold up long

Anything I can do to salvage it? Will the paint make a difference?
You could arch firebrick if you build a form to support it while you build. And no the paint wont do anything. But honestly for it to work right you are going to have to build a smoke chamber that tapers down to the size of your liner

Reactions: Stigwort
Yes it would hold up to the heat. But it is not structural so if that ceiling is supporting any structure you would nee concrete then cover it with chamber coat or chamber tech. But again if you go with a flat ceiling like that instead of a smoke chamber allot of smoke spillage is very likely.

Reactions: Stigwort
Thanks, HBoller. The ceiling is curved and very thick and is concrete. Too late for a smoke chamber. Obviously, I regret that, but we will see how bad the smoke is :-(.

So I guess I will cover the firebox ceiling with chamber coat and see how it goes.

Yes it would hold up to the heat. But it is not structural so if that ceiling is supporting any structure you would nee concrete then cover it with chamber coat or chamber tech. But again if you go with a flat ceiling like that instead of a smoke chamber allot of smoke spillage is very likely.