What output of stove is required

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcas

Jan 4, 2009
Ireland
~Hi

I hope to buy a wood burning stove to heat a holiday home. The main room is about 60 cubic meters/2,000 cubic feet. The ceiling is simply floorboards and there is an open staircase to the bedroom above. The walls are two feet thick and made of stone and I intend to put the stove in the opening of the existing fireplace with a lined flue and a metal plate to prevent loss of hot air up tthe chimney. I'm told that a lot of the web based guidance regarding appropriate heat output for this size of room needs to be adjusted to take account of stove location and the open staircase but I'm not sure what allowance to make and would appreciate any guidance.

Welcome,
Most manufactures on this side of the pond rate their stoves to heat by the square footage and that number is for perfect conditions and is usually a tad off. I recommend cutting off 1/3 for most of the manufactures recommendation for true output and if this stove is to be your main source of heat a little bigger is better than too small.

Greetings. Holiday homes need a generous output to bring the thermal mass of the home interior (and in this case, the walls) up to habitable temperature. This is far above what is required once the house temperature has finally stabilized. If the stove is nestled deep in the fireplace capacity, it will absolutely need a blower or some method to convect the heat. Otherwise, the results may be disappointing.

Is the goal to just heat this room or the whole house? If the whole house, how large is the overall home? Is the fireplace room open to the other spaces, or closed off by doorways?

Status
Not open for further replies.