What Pellet to buy??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
celticsgreen said:
j-takeman said:
Eatonpcat said:
You guys will argue about anything....Burn what you want, But for me personally, I respect the findings of the people that have the experience and are willing to share their knowledge!!!

Some poeple still believe all pellets are the same. Think I busted that myth a long time ago! ;-)

who said they were all the same.....I am just saying paying 35% more for an 11% increase in performance is not worth it unless your stove is under-powered for your house.

First off I think the only concrete numbers are what you pay....the rest has a lot of variables and the more info out there the better decision one can make if they have little experience.

But lets see what it looks like with some fuzzy math.

5 tons@200=$1000
5 tons@270=$1350 but you use 11% less so you only need 222.5 bags at a cost of $1200. So for about $30 bucks a month You can move less bags, store less bags and do (my own experience) a cleaning once a week compared to 2 or 3. So that is 24 cleanings compared to 72...I will spend the 30 bucks thank you

PS...If you get real bad pellets your are cleaning 2X a day

No stove shops around my area!
And lowes,HD don't carry pellets
My choices are few--Menareds 30miles one way, TSC-6miles, Local hardware 3miles.
Bought somersets for $179/ton in Sept., $199 in Oct. at TSC
Bought Easy Heats for $175/ton from Local

I have been dragging AWF home from HD( 3.94/bag), 10 bags at a time and now I have ordered a pallet of Appalachian Wood pellets from Premier Pellet Corp, being sold by my local ShopRite Supermarket. Tried several bags and loved them. Very hot burn, small uniform pellet size and very clean. They wanted 6.49/bag but I got 10% off the pallet, my kids school gets 5% through a buying fund raising program and I won't have any delivery charge because I can pick them up just down the block in about 4 trips with my son.

Together with the ton of Great American Pellets that came with the stove on a Harman promotion, and with the assorted other bags I continue to bring home, I will soon be set for the season.

Our local dealer has Cubex at $7/bag. I picked up a half dozen to try but haven't burned them yet and HD is expecting a new delivery of a yet to be determined brand this week.

celticsgreen said:
j-takeman said:
Eatonpcat said:
You guys will argue about anything....Burn what you want, But for me personally, I respect the findings of the people that have the experience and are willing to share their knowledge!!!

Some poeple still believe all pellets are the same. Think I busted that myth a long time ago! ;-)

who said they were all the same.....I am just saying paying 35% more for an 11% increase in performance is not worth it unless your stove is under-powered for your house.

Where do you get these performance % numbers from?

j-takeman said:
celticsgreen said:
j-takeman said:
Eatonpcat said:

Where do you get these performance % numbers from?

Typical low end pellet claims around 8000 BTU and high-end between 8900-9000 BTU, which I don't think is too different than real world performance. Tractor supply sells pellets for $179, Wally $194, and high-end average around $270 or more.

Based on today's prices I think a fair price for super-premium is $240 a ton. That is 20% more than the cheap stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.