What Remains of Your Winter Stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BoiledOver

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2013
43°58'55 N - 85°20' W
03-06-18. Seemed like we were in for a rock-a-billy winter early on, not now though. The pile is just past the halfway point and we are getting right into March already. What the heck is a person to do with the excess?

“Excess” - I am not familiar with this word.

You load any excess into a truck and deliver it to me
I will depose of it for you no cost
NO NO You don't have to thank me

There is no such thing as "excess" firewood . . . there is only this year's wood and the start of next year's wood.

My stack took a hard hit back in January when we had 3 weeks of below average temps. I have plenty of backup piles that are seasoning but my primary woodshed is getting close to empty.

Looks like I'll make it through with what I brought into the basement and garage last fall. Next year's is already put up outside. Need to go after 2019-2020 wood now.

I don't have a dedicated pre-determined stack, I just burn what I need to burn to keep warm.

Reactions: vtwoodheater
A very nice offer from @johneh but I will have to pass at this time. From previous use it is determined to take right around 4 cords to keep the house and shop warm, give or take a little. The stacks are for one season of heating, notice the adjustment for aspen/poplar.

Boiiler-4.jpg

Reactions: Patmosphere
The outside of your house is tidier than the inside of mine...

Reactions: Bigger_Al
I am probably going to move one more truck load into the barn. I thought I had enough to get me through March, but now I think I may be just a hair shy. We burned a little more than usual this year, but I suspect it will be our new norm because my wife started working from home. We will have burned 4.5-5 cords by the end of the season.

I have a little over a face cord left in my shed. Should be plenty for the rest of the burn season. We will have burned about 3.5 cords by season’s end here in WI, average indoor temp in mid 70’s. Mostly elm and a little maple and oak.

I have burned through about 2.5 cords this winter. I have about the same still stacked. About two cords more to split; and on top of that I got three cords of red oak last weekend. My kids think I have a firewood hording problem. :)

Reactions: adrpga498
Mild winter up here since the polar vortex spent the peak of my heating season in the lower 48. Ill burn about 3 of the 8 cords i had ready, gave 4 to charity last month, should end the season with a full cord dry and seven green and stacked.

All over the north pacific there are salmon swimming toward my freezer. Wont be long now.

It's slim pickings for me. I'm working on unsplit branches. I do have a 10 x 8 face cord, but it's currently serving as the north wall of my shed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's been a rather mild winter here, but we've still managed to burn everything set aside for this year and we've started dipping into next years supply. That's OK though because I've got at least 1.5 cords of honey locust waiting to CSS for 2020-2021 sitting in my garage. It has been waiting for somewhere to stack. We typically only burn about a cord a year but went a little overboard this year.

03-06-18. Seemed like we were in for a rock-a-billy winter early on, not now though. The pile is just past the halfway point and we are getting right into March already. What the heck is a person to do with the excess?
And then April rolled in. We have had snow cover on more days than not this month, sub-freezing temps more than not and one day began at 0°F. Anyway, the wood pile is shrinking and will be closer to empty at the end than it appeared it would be in March.

I have burned through about 2.5 cords this winter. I have about the same still stacked. About two cords more to split; and on top of that I got three cords of red oak last weekend. My kids think I have a firewood hording problem. :)
No hording problem here, I find hording kinda easy. lol

I still have quite a bit of wood from this winter! No problem with me....I see it as "money in the bank." ;)

I have a tiny stack now of hardwood left. Each weekend I go out and take the good sized splits and split them up even smaller to make 'em last. Last weekend I thought "Maybe I'll need to do this one more time...maybe." Now it is 28 degrees and snowed this morning. If it remains chilly in May I may be out of wood.

Reactions: mountain man 2
0D43FAFF-0CC5-48D1-92B3-C4FB91D07E62.jpeg I have 2 face cord of good dry wood that was designated for this winter left. I’m still burning everyday in mid April and we have a good winter storm going on now with temps around 23 for highs. Gotta love it.

Last edited:
I have been workin on a 3 year plan since we started burning for the 1 st time this fall. Soooo....I vowed that I was done burning wood after we had 4 consecutive days in the 80's.....wrong!
I don't want to get into my next seasons wood so in the fall of last year we purchased 3 large lope gaylords full of 1" thick x any where from 2 to 12" pieces of kiln dried scrap from makin oak flooring.
So this mornin I fired the insert back up after our lows are in the 30s n can't stand hearin the furnace run. We have about 1 n a 1/4 gaylord left n I really djdnt want it sittin around all summer any how....so we r workin on gettin rid of that.
What's gonna happen is....we r gonna go from winter to summer just like that!!

I’m somewhere between 4.5-5 cords. Every face cord I move next to the back door I think, “this will be it!” But that hasn’t been true yet. I’m hoping this was the last one though. We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I was done burning and had started reloading the wood shed for next winter but this recent cold snap has meant raiding next years wood. I try to be two years ahead on wood so it not like I will run out but I have had a few not fully dry pieces sneaking in during these most recent fires.

Around here it snowed on Easter, and like the saying goes; "if it rains on Easter Sunday you will get rain for seven more Sundays" Why not snow then. Plenty of wood left and burning only at night. Flurries this morning and low 30s.

I burned everything I had for this year. Thought I was done last week, but then yesterday was in the 30s so I burned a pile of dry bark I was going to use for mulch. It actually burned a lot better than I expected.

Reactions: EPS