What Remains of Your Winter Stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
86500C49-6FA2-4F03-9C31-2926E0B0ED6F.jpeg

After the weekend, I think I have more fresh snow than I do wood left in my stack. Haha. Half a face cord dry left in my shed but 50’s in the forecast at least.

I dont designate wood for this year or next year. I have seasoned and unseasoned, I burn seasoned until the weather warms then work on building my wood for future years. It's silly to not burn wood because its designated for next year, burn til you dont have to then replenish.

I usually start out with around 7 cords in the basement and have 1 left over. This year I might have 2 left over. Hoping that might be enough to turn my estimated 2.5 year supply in stacks in the yard, into 3 years supply.

Part of the decrease is my wood is spending more time drying now so I'm getting more heat out of it. Also, kids are all out to school so one of our 4 zones is not being heated to what it was.

Living in suburban sprawl, I have to hustle year to year to get enough wood. I am very reluctant to pay for wood, but it gets more difficult every year to get a decent supply. We started the season with about 3.5 cord which ran out in early March. Been burning pellets since then with the occasional bio block fire in the old Jotul.

Burnt all of this years wood and have had to start into next years. Only the first full winter burning so I am just figuring out what I will need. It was a pretty cold, and now long winter (snowing outside right now in Ohio). I was also home a lot more than I will normally be with snow days, so I ran the stove harder than I probably will most winters. Figure I will use around 4-5 cords a winter, so building a woodshed this summer to hold around 10-12 cords.

I was plugging away at work when my wife texted me and said we were out of oil and I just started crackinf up. It has been pretty cold here lately, with some serious wind.

I knew we would still be burning in April but I didn’t think full throttle.

I’ve burned much more than I anticipated, I think I’ve got 4-5 cord dry wood left. I would bet by the time I stop burning I would be at 7-8 cords burned.

But I only ordered 250 gallons of oil all winter, up until yesterday! Dang 100 gallon minimum order haha.

Last Fall I sold 5 full cords out of my stash. The cash was welcome at the time, but I regretted it by February. I had to dip into next years stash by March.

The propane company charged me a $200 service fee for not filling the tank at least once in a year. I hated handing over the money for nothing, but at the end of the day it meant I was keeping the house warm with wood. I tried to get the fee waived but they didn't care, so I'm burning off the rest of the tank and finding a new propane company for the back up furnace. I asked why they didn't call me ahead of time to get it filled before the penalty, they said that'd be too many phone calls for them. They won't get another dime from me.

Plenty of wood left, been heating 100% with it and haven't turned my heater on all winter. One less bill to pay. On the brighter side I haven't had a fire in 2 days, hopefully winter is over for me cause I need to mow... again.

I'm on winter number 2 with our house and wood furnace so I am still learning. I'm learning that I Like to hoard wood :_g
Last winter I put in 5 1/2 cord in the basement and burned 3 1/2.
This year I put in 5 cord. Even with our never-ending February weather I still have just under 1 /1/2 cord left. Next fall someone someone should remind me that I only need to put in 4..... :)

I've burned ~17,000 lbs so far I believe.....keeping the house 70°-76°.

Used to use 1,000-1,200 gallons of LP to keep house 68°. If one does the math, I seem to be making better use out of the available wood BTU's than my LP furnace did out of LP BTU's.

Reactions: Slocum
I ran out of wood 2 days ago and fired up the oil furnace for the first time in 5 years...surprised it actually started. Anyways today I managed to find some deadfall which is not in the greatest condition. Bucked most of it and will split it and see if we can burn it. The furnace just does not give me that toasty warm feeling the stove does.

20180413_183405small.jpg

I have plenty left over as I stay 2-3 years ahead but went through far more than I was expecting! This Indiana winter was brutal early January and doesnt seem to want to go away! I refuse to buy propane so I am still burning! I have 4 cord of White Oak and 5 cord of Pin Oak ready in the wings to burn now if needed and 3 cord of Red Oak needing to be split with approx. 5-6 cord of more Red Oak and Burr needing cut and split from my last score...all is well

Reactions: mountain man 2
My planned winter wood is all used up. I went into the extra pile in the back 3 weeks ago. I’ve used half s cord of that elm so far. Been cold lately.

Good to be 2 years ahead.

Reactions: mountain man 2