What Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishHarder

Mar 1, 2015
PA
South east PA. have a Stihl Ms170 14" for the small stuff. Just got a new splitter and built a good relationship with a tree service. Willing to drop me logs for beer [emoji7] what's a good choice without spending all my kids tooth fairy $ think 20" bar should be good. But is A Lowe's Husqvarna Rancher a waste of money.

A rancher isn't a waste of money. I stated on a stihl farm boss, and it treated me pretty good, after I learned the difference between a safety chain and a non-safety chain. Then one day, a buddy talked me into trying a husqvarna 562xp, a professional series saw. I would have never guessed, but it's a totally different ball game. I personally will never go back to a standard saw. I cut about 7-8 cords a year. I'd say if you can afford a couple hundred more, buy a professional saw. I bought mine online for about $650. The 562xp literally cuts twice as fast as my farm boss did (both having full chisel, non-safety chains.

I recently bought a Husky 555, which is an entry level pro saw. Compared to my previous 20" saw, a Stihl 026, the difference in cutting is amazing. From what I have read the rancher grade is just fine but this saw was amazing for about an extra $140 over a rancher with a 20" bar.

Reactions: Fishnuts2
I have a 455 Rancher and rarely use it now that I also have the 372XP. It struggled when the nose was buried in hard wood, but aside from that it was fine for normal firewood use. I suggest you check Craigslist first as the 455 can usually be had for $200-$250 used.

I back the suggestion for the Echo CS-590. Great saw for 399, you can wait until Rural King has 10% and get an even better deal. Great saw with a great 5 year warranty, a good chain and some mods and it does well. I have no experience with pro saws so I can't give a comparison.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
If I were looking for a saw to cut several cords of wood per year for the foreseeable future I would want a high quality tool to do the job. This is not knocking the home owner stuff - it serves a purpose and by golly it will cut wood, but we are not talking about an occasional limb job or the downing of a small tree tipped over by a storm. 4-5-6 cords per year is real work. Use a good tool. Most folks that have been in this game for a few years will give the same opinion. In the beginning it may not seem justifiable to you - time passes and you kick yourself in the pants. Just something to think about.

After 40 years of wood cutting with pro saws I wouldn't even consider a handy homeowner or "farmer" model. I was looking over the display and hefting a couple of saws at the local woodchop shop a few weeks ago while waiting to check out. The manager laughed at me and said "with the amount of wood you've cut over the years why would you even waste your time looking in the toy department". (I replied "because you're so darn slow at the register")
The extra couple hundred for a pro model is the best investment you'll ever make if you heat with wood.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Gotta say. When Home Depot sells something I assume it to be junk. I know they have there own line of most power tools. Just ran the Echo CS590 wow! Not bad 399$ even better. I found a used Stihl 362 but he wants $525. I think that's to much for a used saw. I do know I have to be smart with the money I spend right now young and really starting out on this new House. Since I'm in the Burbs. I need to find cheapest place to buy one. TRACTOR Suply sells someone new now. But is the Depot Echo the same model as anywhere else. Or is it the HD line.

Wish Craigslist had a good saw but only a 362 and a 660 which is way out of my price range and need.

Gotta say. When Home Depot sells something I assume it to be junk. I know they have there own line of most power tools. Just ran the Echo CS590 wow! Not bad 399$ even better. I found a used Stihl 362 but he wants $525. I think that's to much for a used saw. I do know I have to be smart with the money I spend right now young and really starting out on this new House. Since I'm in the Burbs. I need to find cheapest place to buy one. TRACTOR Suply sells someone new now. But is the Depot Echo the same model as anywhere else. Or is it the HD line.

Wish Craigslist had a good saw but only a 362 and a 660 which is way out of my price range and need.

Yeah, the price on the 362 is high for used. That saw should be in the $350-$450 range depending on condition.

For a 20" bar, 60cc is about where you want to be.

But is the Depot Echo the same model as anywhere else.

If it's the same model name/number, it's the same saw. Home Depot and Lowe's do have manufacturers put together unique product variations that look a lot like models available elsewhere, but they're not running counterfeiting operations.

I find myself saying this a lot lately, but it bears repeating: it's very tough to get a good deal on a fully functional used saw via Craigslist unless you have some experience repairing saws *and* you watch the ads very, very closely. When a good deal does pop up, there's little time to make an assessment and contact the seller before someone else grabs it. For an inexperienced buyer to acquire a saw for their own long-term use, buying new saves a lot of time and avoids a lot of risk.

Should all be the same. The CS 600P is the 'professional model', but essentially the same saw with a metal top handle, rim sprocket, and a better bar. Engine should be the same, though I've seen it speculated that there may be some porting differences. Still a more serviceable saw than the clamshell design of other 'farm/ranch' saws.

I still would see if there is a dealer nearby. Give them a chance, you might be surprised. If you ever need anything warranty-wise it may to your benefit, and a dealer can properly set up and tune a saw. Might even get a few extras thrown in, like a decent chain and some oil.

For my budget the Timber wolf Is gonna have to be my new toy. $350 with discounts. If it lasts me a 5 years I could still get about her and be ahead of my Stihl purchase. Figure use it until I save up and buy a bigger 24" down the road.

My advise is to try to wear that CS-590 out first! You'll have lots of experienced hours under your belt to base further buys then. Unless you catch CAD like a lot of us did!

Use good oil mixed properly with non ethanol gas and don't store for extended periods without draing the gas out of it.

Good Luck!

For my budget the Timber wolf Is gonna have to be my new toy. $350 with discounts. If it lasts me a 5 years I could still get about her and be ahead of my Stihl purchase. Figure use it until I save up and buy a bigger 24" down the road.

Your grandkids will be using that Timber Wolf.

Reactions: drz1050
I'm probably gonna get run outta town on a rail for this, but I have the Craftsman version of the Poulan Pro PP5020 AV. I really like that saw. Got mine as a "warranty return" for $50, supposedly needed a carb clean...dunno, runs fine for me! It has cut a TON of wood for me in the last 4 or 5 years, no issues at all. Really hard to beat for the $150 or so they can be bought for. And yes, I have run the "big boy" saws, Stihl, Dolmar, etc, they're fine, (well, the Dolmar was way too heavy IMO) but I keep going back to my trusty Craftys, lotta bang for the buck there. Might get ya by for a few years and give ya time to save up and shop for a great deal on a "pro saw". Just throwing it out there...

Edit: I bought a used 18" PP from a CL ad recently, guy shows up in a Husqvarna truck, he was telling me they make the Craftsman, Poulans, etc, etc,etc, (many others)

Last edited:
My father has a craftsman from the 70s or some crazy year and it still runs. I heard them and Poulan were the really good back in the day

Nothing wrong with a clamshell Poulan / Craftsman. I've had a 42cc 18" red one for 20 years and bucked ~ 30 cords with it. They will work for 5 cords or less per year - just a little slower. Put a yellow chain on it, tho. Depends on your budget. If $350-400, I'd get a CS-590 at a dealer. If $150-200, I'd get a PP5020AV. You can check refurb prices at vminnovations.

Reactions: FishHarder
If your home depot has a rental department, pop in and see if they have a saw for sale. They sell off their rental tools every couple years or so, and that Makita is a pretty kick @ss saw. They can often be in remarkable condition.

I look every time I'm there, even though I have one I *should* sell.

I'll have to make a YouTube video haha jk. Will have to no keep my eye out and this will buy me time to look for a used bigger saw. Don't NEED one now but at least I'm equipped and can move forward. Thanks again for the help guys.

Nothing wrong with a clamshell Poulan / Craftsman. I've had a 42cc 18" red one for 20 years and bucked ~ 30 cords with it. They will work for 5 cords or less per year - just a little slower. Put a yellow chain on it, tho. Depends on your budget. If $350-400, I'd get a CS-590 at a dealer. If $150-200, I'd get a PP5020AV. You can check refurb prices at vminnovations.

Always good to have a second saw on-site with you. Even with plenty of wedges, if you don't get a bar pinched now & then, you're not trying hard enough. Besides, having different size saws is a good idea- one for felling & bucking, smaller (lighter) one for limbing. Maybe toss in a 25 cc polesaw to make your arms longer.

Three+ years back, I got a PP5020 as backup heavy artillery. (Yes, I've learned.) Shortly found it could well stand on its own. Just about worn out a clutch sprocket on it now. Like the Echo 590, its chain has oddball # of DL. It's air filter needs a little help sealing, and it needs LocTite on carb-mounting nuts. I use mine to spell my Dolmar 6100, and let the Dolly cool down, whenever possible. Similarly, for $94 a refurb PP4218 handles a lot of duty for me- great firewood saw. Saws like these can make life much easier for expensive ones by reducing their workloads, and providing cooldowns. It's all about flexibility and options. Without chucking bucks.

Reactions: dougand3
At 67 with every bone in your body hurting grabbing that lil Husky 142 becomes a habit. For sure before grabbing the 23 pound 65cc bad boy.

I can invest the extra 50 seconds. Save the energy for humping the rounds into the trailer., >>

little 142 big oak.jpg

At 67 with every bone in your body hurting grabbing that lil Husky 142 becomes a habit.

I'm only 44, but I have a rear-handle MS200 that I am loathe to sell off (though it's worth a mint, relatively speaking) because I can imagine kicking myself someday if I didn't have it. At this point I reach for the 026 and 044 more often, but that little thing is so nice to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.