What Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At 67 with every bone in your body hurting grabbing that lil Husky 142 becomes a habit. For sure before grabbing the 23 pound 65cc bad boy.
I can invest the extra 50 seconds. Save the energy for humping the rounds into the trailer.,

In 1977 I bought my first pro saw; a Pioneer P50, a 5 cu. in., (82cc) wood mowing SOB. I ran it with a 20" bar and kept the rakers filed down to almost nothing, it would turn trees into cordwood faster than my two teenage boys could load the trailer. I even used it for limbing, anything else was too darn slow. We used 15 plus cord a year and I couldn't bear to burn daylight fooling around cutting wood.

Somewhere around age 50 I bought a 50 cc "limbing" saw, that mostly sat in the trailer for the next ten years, until soft living and age caught up to me around age 60, when I began to occasionally use it for limbing. By age 65 I was only using the P50 on really big stuff, I would be whipped after using it for a couple of hours; the limbing saw was becoming my every day tool. I eventually realized that I was no longer a young buck and was sorely tempting fate so I bought a second pro model 50 cc saw (Jonsered 2152) and retired the big guy. A 20" bar is all the 2152 wants to handle but it does the job.

Like BrotherBart I am 67 and at this point that extra 50 seconds doesn't seem quite as big a deal as it did twenty years ago, and there is still some energy left at the end of the day.

Reactions: BrotherBart
a Pioneer P50,

That P50 was one helluva saw. Light? No! A sawdust chewing monster? Yes! Running a 20" bar - you don't need no stinkin' rakers.;lol

Reactions: jaoneill
I should make a bit of a confession as far as my above post. A couple of months ago I dropped a 42" maple and was really missing the old P50. We have a section of these older 36"-48" maples, many of which are beginning to have issues and should come down. If I start cutting these monsters, and if I die when I ought to, they will provide our fire wood for as long as I am vertical. I did a bit of research and found that a Jonsered (pro model) 2172 (72cc) only weighs 1 1/2 pounds more than my newest 2152. 28" is the longest recommended bar so it should handle a 24" bar handily. So, as comfortable as I have become with the 2152's I fully expect to step the newer one down to an 18" bar, and trade the older one for a 2172 before next season. While I know that it won't have the snot of the old P50, I think it is a good compromise for an old guy.

While I know that it won't have the snot of the old P50

One of the things you will notice right away is the revs. The P50 was a slower RPM torque machine. The new saws spin like mad.

I should make a bit of a confession as far as my above post. A couple of months ago I dropped a 42" maple and was really missing the old P50. We have a section of these older 36"-48" maples, many of which are beginning to have issues and should come down. If I start cutting these monsters, and if I die when I ought to, they will provide our fire wood for as long as I am vertical. I did a bit of research and found that a Jonsered (pro model) 2172 (72cc) only weighs 1 1/2 pounds more than my newest 2152. 28" is the longest recommended bar so it should handle a 24" bar handily. So, as comfortable as I have become with the 2152's I fully expect to step the newer one down to an 18" bar, and trade the older one for a 2172 before next season. While I know that it won't have the snot of the old P50, I think it is a good compromise for an old guy.

How far north are you? There's a guy in CT selling a 2172 and he'll take $300 for it... I'm tempted to buy it but really don't need it.

I notice that with the smaller saws, but my guess is that the 2172 should cut like a banshee with a 20" and be able to handle a 24" for the bigger wood. Biggest plus is that is only marginally heavier than the 2152 with enough extra stuff to spin a longer chain; not sure what the P50 weighs, must be #20 plus.

I'd like to try a P50 some day; so far I've only read a bit about them. That said, I doubt it would ever supplant the 044 for me - 13 pounds and just shy of 71cc. Normally I use a 20 or 24" bar, but I recently tried a 28" bar running skip chain in red elm, and it did just fine.

I'd like to try a P50 some day

They manufactured the last of them in either '77 or '78. Pioneer was a Canadian manufacturer that catered to the logging profession. Although I still have mine, and my younger brother has one as well, by todays standards they were probably fairly limited in the number that were made.

PS: To give you a sense of the raw power and torque involved my came stock with a 36" bar and 3/8 chain

Status
Not open for further replies.