What should I burn first?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
to many posts making this seem harder than it is. Split some, test it, burn the driest first. If the driest isn't dry enough by the forum's standards then you burn it anyway, because it's what you have. Wet wood will burn, you just have to know the major downfalls of doing it. Recognize that you will lose efficiency and create more creosote (and potentially a fire risk), so you will need to be vigilant about cleaning and checking your chimney through the winter.

I heard here that a gasification boiler likes small splits, about the size of a playing card.
Something about more surface area to let the gases release.
So I have all 12 cord split pretty small. Most is about 3"x3" or there abouts.

Mike, I really hesitated posting because you asked for advice from the pros. However, I will say that your thoughts are very good and you'll get through this winter. Next year will be even better. Oh, has anyone mentioned that the oak might be a problem? ;)

I hear that. I bought the iPhone in May just so I could use it for this site!
I hope this isn't a daily conversation.
Mike: "Siri, will I find free firewood today?"
Siri: "The nearest free firewood is over 20 miles away and will smell like urine when you burn it."

Reactions: fox9988
Mike, I really hesitated posting because you asked for advice from the pros.

What are you talking about you are the main pro! Always love to read your advice. Now start chiming in faaster:)

I hope this isn't a daily conversation.
Mike: "Siri, will I find free firewood today?"
Siri: "The nearest free firewood is over 20 miles away and will smell like urine when you burn it."

No it isn't , but it will be now! thanks for the idea.

What are you talking about you are the main pro! Always love to read your advice. Now start chiming in faaster:)

Age makes us slower... Thanks Mike but I'm still learning.

I burned red oak last year that was only 11 months seasoned. I did split it really small 3 to five inches thick 16 to 18 inches long. The stuff burned hot and I had no real creosote build up. I used the smoke out my chimney as by barometer. I rarley saw any smoke and therefore no creosote. When you burn small splits and have air gaps between your splits in the firebox your wood will burn hotter and produce less emissions. Im not sure about your stove this is just my experience.

I burned red oak last year that was only 11 months seasoned. I did split it really small 3 to five inches thick 16 to 18 inches long. The stuff burned hot and I had no real creosote build up. I used the smoke out my chimney as by barometer. I rarley saw any smoke and therefore no creosote. When you burn small splits and have air gaps between your splits in the firebox your wood will burn hotter and produce less emissions. Im not sure about your stove this is just my experience.

I also so no significant problems burning 6 month old oak. Mine was also split small. I'm looking forward to getting far enough ahead that any oak I get will have the time to season like everyone recommends or for that matter any wood I get has enough time.

Status
Not open for further replies.