What should I burn first?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
I kinda have an idea but until I become more seasoned (no pun intended) at burning, I figure I'll ask the pros.

I am going into my 2nd season. I have 12 cord c/s/s and just picked up about another cord of ash still in logs.

The 12 cord are like this:
8 cord of red oak c/s/s in jan/feb
1 cord of maple c/s/s in march
2 cord of ash/locust c/s/s july/aug
and hopefully I can get that new ash c/s/s this weekend.
Thats why they call it Labor Day, so I can labor:p

I guess burn the maple, then the ash/locust then the new ash and then tap into the oak.
Hopefully I can squeeze by with only burning a cord of oak.

Then I'll almost be ok by winter 13/14 with 7 cord of 2 year old oak.

But I need to stock up, even more, now!!!

You have the right order but Im not so sure your oak will be dry enough, in fact it most likely wont be, if you get the ash split this weekend that probably has a better chance of being ready. Store the ash and maybe a cord of oak in full sunlight exposed to wind and spread out for good air flow, that way it gives you a better chance.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
no offense but your wood is not seasoned enough. If I had to I would no burn the oak til next year. Everything else is really border line. Bet you get water hissing.

I've come to look at this as managing the stacks that season in a year and managing the stacks that take 2+
I got all my quicker seasoning stacks done early, but I am new to hoarding as well, so now I am getting next years quicker seasoning wood done this fall. I will continue to get well ahead on the oak and hickory. Start cutting you next years ash etc now and keep the oak riding at 8 cords. Your plan for this year looks good........what about next year ?

If you maple is soft maple (red, silver) it is likely your driest stuff. I'd think about mixing the maple in with the earlier split ash and locust to help keep the fire hot. The oak is not going to be fun to burn - keep an eye on the stack. Cheers!

no offense but your wood is not seasoned enough. If I had to I would no burn the oak til next year. Everything else is really border line. Bet you get water hissing.
no offense taken, this is just the newbie blues, eventually I'll be far enough ahead.

Reactions: ScotO
no offense taken, this is just the newbie blues, eventually I'll be far enough ahead.
Hey, every one of us goes through a learning curve. That's the nature of the beast of woodburning. If I were you, I would split up your ash on the smaller side (3"x3"), so it dries quicker. I would definately use your maple first, you will probably get some hissing (which means moisture and creasote in your flue) so you will have to monitor your flue (I suggest once a month at least, until you get to know the stove and such). The oak will definately not be ready, it will have quite a bit of water and will smolder, putting poor heat out. Consider getting some dead standing oak trees, get them C/S/S now and they won't be too bad by mid winter. Save the really good stuff for the dead of winter.

........what about next year ?

I guess I'm just gonna have to get a lot of ash and maple this winter and split my butt off._g
Really don't want to burn any of that oak for at least another 2 years.

your locust and ash should be pretty good this winter, if you split it small to medium and do it right away. Oak, while one of the better woods to burn, takes so damm long to dry out. It's the cell structure of the wood, patience is a virtue with oak.....

The oak will definately not be ready, it will have quite a bit of water and will smolder, putting poor heat out.

Believe it or not last winter I burned almost 3 cord of oak that was only 5-6 months old. I had no choice. Its all I had left.

I have nothing to compare it to but I don't think I had any problems being that I'm burning in a gasification boiler.

But I still want to let the oak dry for another 2 years.

You definitely have the right name. I can't believe that we both signed up within a month of each other and you have 5 times more posts then me.:eek: How do ya do it?!

Believe it or not last winter I burned almost 3 cord of oak that was only 5-6 months old. I had no choice. Its all I had left.

I have nothing to compare it to but I don't think I had any problems being that I'm burning in a gasification boiler.

But I still want to let the oak dry for another 2 years.

You definitely have the right name. I can't believe that we both signed up within a month of each other and you have 5 times more posts then me.:eek: How do ya do it?!
It's a damm addiction, you know? Now that I got that Android phone, I find myself checking this site around 50 times a day. Ridiculous, I tell ya....ridiculous.......:rolleyes:

I heard here that a gasification boiler likes small splits, about the size of a playing card.
Something about more surface area to let the gases release.
So I have all 12 cord split pretty small. Most is about 3"x3" or there abouts.

A cheap moisture meter would be a good guide. I'm over a year ahead now, so not too big of a deal, but 'back in the day' I cut things a little closer. Never seemed to have a problem cutting in the spring and burning in the fall/winter - but we might tend to have hotter summers around here. A couple months of 100º+ weather seems to bake the moisture out of just about everything!

You have the best burning order.
Not perfect but "you burn what you got, seasoned or not"

We all had to get to the place of being ahead. Lots of work but you are making a good dent on it.
Keep cutting, splitting & stacking :)

I may get ahead enough this fall to just have to replace what I burn each year.
The plan anyway. Closer now than I've ever been.

I heard here that a gasification boiler likes small splits, about the size of a playing card.
Something about more surface area to let the gases release.
So I have all 12 cord split pretty small. Most is about 3"x3" or there abouts.
That stuff should be pretty dry I would think. The crashed row that I had to re-stack today was dead standing, CSS early this year. Anything 3x3 was bowling-pin dry, Sugar Maple and Pignut Hickory.

You have the best burning order.

Keep cutting, splitting & stacking :)

Thats all I want to do. i want close my business down and go into the fire wood processing business.

Hey have you seen that show Yukon Men? About the small town of Tanana? How real to life is it? Where do you live in relation to that town?

It's a damm addiction, you know? Now that I got that Android phone, I find myself checking this site around 50 times a day. Ridiculous, I tell ya....ridiculous.......:rolleyes:

+1
I'd have 10 more cords if I smashed my phone and computer in June!

Reactions: TimJ and ScotO
Tanana is up near Fairbanks, 350 miles North of me.
Haven't seen the show.
May have to watch it.

Know what you mean, just wanted to get the CSS wood in the shed today, got almost 1/2 , then the rain started.
Now it's a good weather day in late Sept job, need the space for this falls cutting.

I hear that. I bought the iPhone in May just so I could use it for this site!

I agree on the order Mike. dave's got it too,...."you burn what you got, seasoned or not".
When I started, the wood (oak) had just been c/s/s a month prior. The next load (I didn't have enough) was worse. It.....uh, burned. After all the moisture boiled off. Of course, by then, quite a bit of the wood was gone too. What a friggin' nightmare.
You have the luxury of oak that's been c/s/s since the beginning of the year. But, it's still oak that isn't dry. It'll burn, sort of...if you need it.
Do yourself a favor and get as much Ash as you can......right now, if possible for next year. Then, next year, get more. Forget, for a while, that you have the oak.
Keep track of how much you burn so you know how much more to get. Always get more than you need at first. It's a good way to get ahead, if you have the resources to do so.
Sounds to me like you're doing well, just keep going.

Hey, every one of us goes through a learning curve. That's the nature of the beast of woodburning. If I were you, I would split up your ash on the smaller side (3"x3"), so it dries quicker. I would definately use your maple first, you will probably get some hissing (which means moisture and creasote in your flue) so you will have to monitor your flue (I suggest once a month at least, until you get to know the stove and such). The oak will definately not be ready, it will have quite a bit of water and will smolder, putting poor heat out. Consider getting some dead standing oak trees, get them C/S/S now and they won't be too bad by mid winter. Save the really good stuff for the dead of winter.

If you do this, be aware that dead standing trees are a wild card. Some are pretty dry while others still need to dry out. The tops are usually really dry, but I've cut some dead standing where the trunks needed to wait a year or so. I agree with your order by the way, and like others have said you burn what you got. Most of us have been there. Check your chimney often and if we get a mild winter maybe you won't have to touch that oak.

I think you've got the right idea with the order . . . definitely try to avoid the oak.

A few other thoughts . . .

As mentioned . . . it may not be the best, but you burn what you've got . . . just be sure to frequently inspect and clean the chimney if need be . . . and I suspect there may be a need as I have no doubt there will be some spitters and hissing with the wood.

Keep on cutting and splitting and stacking . . . this year could be tough . . . or maybe it may not seem that bad . . . but once you get ahead and get some truly seasoned wood burning next year will seem like a dream with easier starts, wood igniting easier, etc.

Pallets can be your best friend . . . especially with less than optimal wood. Bust up a few pallets and oftentimes this "kindling" will help "drive" the moisture out of the wood by providing a fire with some heat to get the fire going before the less than optimal wood is dry enough to really get going. I know pallets really helped me in my first year of burning.

You defiantly have the order right as long as that locust was black, honeylocust needs almost the same amount of time as oak. Just do as others have said and look for more ash or standing dead and you'll stay warm enough this winter.

We have a Isaac storm coming and looks to be 2-6 inchs of rain. Guess what was on the chain rake this A.M. 8 chains for sharpening. Note said can you put a rush on this?
Anyone want some wood come on over and answer my phone. (Iam start Vac at 7:00 pm tonight) :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.