What should I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bill9765

Nov 30, 2018
Madison, WI
I currently have a zero clearance fireplace which I want to replace. It is a Superior and I can't make out any model numbers on the tag. I just bought this house. I'm sure it is in a framed in space with no masonry. The wall on the sides of the fireplace is red brick, which looks nice but I am open to removing whatever needs to be removed. The red brick is just on the wall and is one brick thick.....pretty much just for looks. I would like to know if I should have a new fireplace installed that is energy efficient or should I have a wood stove installed? I haven't had any fireplace experts come out and take a look yet but it seems an energy efficient fireplace would be at least $5000 whereas a wood stove would be much cheaper. Also, whichever one I decide on would I be able to use the existing chimney? The chimney is a 6" double walled one and it looks to be in good shape. Actually the whole setup looks in good shape and is probably about 10 years old. I just hate wasting a lot of wood and getting very little heat from it. I would prefer a wood stove but I would like some expert opinions on whether the energy efficient fireplace might be the way to go or what might be some other options? I had thought about a fireplace insert but eventually realized those were for putting in a masonry hearth, which I don't have.

You will not be able to reuse the existing chimney. It’s most likely 8” ID too.
Do you have room to install a free standing stove and keep the fireplace intact?

You will not be able to reuse the existing chimney. It’s most likely 8” ID too.
Do you have room to install a free standing stove and keep the fireplace intact?

Thanks for the reply. If it is 8", then could I put a 6" liner inside it? I don't have room to keep the fireplace and put in a wood stove. I think the best thing would be to knock out all the bricks on the sides and top of the fireplace and start from scratch. It's a shame because who ever installed it did a nice job on the brick work. If I do start from scratch, I plan to install sheetmetal heat shields standing off 1" from combustible walls and then face it with brick for a rustic look and to reduce the clearances. I am just curious, if the chimney is 6", why can't it be reused for a new appliance?

Maybe put a rear vented stove on an extended hearth connected to a new liner in the old chimney?

Reactions: moresnow
Thanks for the reply. If it is 8", then could I put a 6" liner inside it? I don't have room to keep the fireplace and put in a wood stove. I think the best thing would be to knock out all the bricks on the sides and top of the fireplace and start from scratch. It's a shame because who ever installed it did a nice job on the brick work. If I do start from scratch, I plan to install sheetmetal heat shields standing off 1" from combustible walls and then face it with brick for a rustic look and to reduce the clearances. I am just curious, if the chimney is 6", why can't it be reused for a new appliance?
That chimney isn’t rated for a woodstove, besides it sitting on top of the fireplace. There’s no way to properly support it.

Maybe put a rear vented stove on an extended hearth connected to a new liner in the old chimney?
Thanks, I was thinking about a stove with a top vent. If I put up heat shields, I read that I can reduce the required clearances to the back and sides by 67% so I would have plenty of room in the existing area once I removed the fireplace.

That chimney isn’t rated for a woodstove, besides it sitting on top of the fireplace. There’s no way to properly support it.
I can understand that it might not be rated for a wood stove, but I have seen diagrams where chimneys come down to a thimble by the ceiling. I just assumed the thimble was anchored to support the chimney.

I can understand that it might not be rated for a wood stove, but I have seen diagrams where chimneys come down to a thimble by the ceiling. I just assumed the thimble was anchored to support the chimney.
Not a thimble, but a ceiling support box. Then a stovepipe adaptor is used to change over to stove pipe. Neither of which is available for the current pipe.

Thanks, I was thinking about a stove with a top vent. If I put up heat shields, I read that I can reduce the required clearances to the back and sides by 67% so I would have plenty of room in the existing area once I removed the fireplace.
Possibly, but not for certain depending on the stove and only to minimum of 12". There are several stoves that already have closer clearances than that. Pick out a good stove with clear alcove installation specs and it will be a lot easier determining the fit.

There are some examples of folks working through this process in previous threads. Search on 'alcove' and maybe 'ZC alcove' for some ideas of the process.

Possibly, but not for certain depending on the stove and only to minimum of 12". There are several stoves that already have closer clearances than that. Pick out a good stove with clear alcove installation specs and it will be a lot easier determining the fit.

There are some examples of folks working through this process in previous threads. Search on 'alcove' and maybe 'ZC alcove' for some ideas of the process.
Thanks, I will do that.

Keep asking questions. The key to a successful conversion to an alcove is lots of measuring, research and planning.