What size and brand stove should I look at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WatermarkFarm

Sep 10, 2018
Santa Rosa, CA
Single gal here, rebuilding a vacation home that burned down in a wildfire. I need to choose a wood stove ASAP. Have been to multiple wood stove dealers and been reading on the internet.

I'm more confused than ever.
Afraid to get too big a stove, afraid to get one that is undersized.

The space:

Stove will be installed in a 400 sf great room with vaulted ceiling that peaks at 13 feet
1030 sf cabin (2 bed/1 bath)
Double walled pipe will run straight up and out through peak of roof
Want to install as close as possible to drywall behind it -- stove in center of room

The goal:

Weekender cabin, so need something that can fire up and produce heat more quickly in a cold house
Will be used for 2-3 days straight at most in winter
Fun heat source + ambience
Bonus is a simpler stove to use (in case of renters)

Look desired:

Traditional w legs
Pretty -- centerpiece of room
If not pretty, then handsome

Fuel:

WOOD
Prefer larger logs -- 18" minimum

Budget:

Up to $3600

So far, I have looked at:

Lopi
Ironstrike
Vermont Castings
Morso

I see many here posting about Jotul. I have not looked at those yet. Are they good? I would really appreciate your input on 1) size of stove and 2) brand

Thank you!
Katie

I'd get a 2 cu ft stove for quick heating. The Lopi Endeavor would get the job done. The Pacific Energy Spectrum is handsome and a good heater.

Reactions: WatermarkFarm
We’ve been burning a Lopi Evergreen in our show room for a few years now. I’ve been very impressed with it. Great fire view and super easy to use. The Endeavor is a solid choice too.

If there's potentially renters involved, I would consider something that has automatic air control. I've never used one so can't really comment on how well they work; in theory you set it and forget it. Quadrafire (as well as some others) have some with that kind of technology. The concern there is renters who don't know how to operate a stove safely.

As for size, 2-2.5 cuft is probably your best bet, definitely wouldn't go smaller than 1.75 cuft though. With the larger firebox, if you find it's getting too warm after the first couple of loads, you can start moderating the heat by using smaller loads.

As far as aesthetics go, what have you seen so far that you've liked?

Dont forget about Woodstock. The fireview might fit your needs but is on the upper end of the price range.

There have been recent posts detailing the shortcomings of Vermont Castings customer service in addition to year of past problems. I would cross them off the list even though the stoves look great.

Last edited:
If renters and even family members will be staying there then I would look for a propane stove. The cabin already burned down once!

Thanks all for your input! Super helpful.

Today I looked at these below. S

Enviro (Boston 1200)
Jotul F 3 CB
Jotul F 400

I liked the steel/cast iron of the Enviro. Takes 18" wood. Seems like a well built stove. Store guy said steel box is a good way to go. Large ash pan. Input?

LOVED Jotul F 400. Beautiful, larger firebox, larger door opening. Store guy said it uses more wood and the ash falls through the grate at bottom faster. Needs frequent ash removal. He said cast iron seam material can have issues. Thoughts?

Jotul F 3 CB: My favorite but concerned fire box seems tight to get into. Says 18" log but more like 16. Thoughts?

Enviro (Boston 1200)
Jotul F 3 CB
Jotul F 400

I liked the steel/cast iron of the Enviro. Takes 18" wood. Seems like a well built stove. Store guy said steel box is a good way to go. Large ash pan. Input?

LOVED Jotul F 400. Beautiful, larger firebox, larger door opening. Store guy said it uses more wood and the ash falls through the grate at bottom faster. Needs frequent ash removal. He said cast iron seam material can have issues. Thoughts?

Jotul F 3 CB: My favorite but concerned fire box seems tight to get into. Says 18" log but more like 16. Thoughts?
He obviously wants to sell the enviro more than the jotul. Those complaints sbout the jotul are very unusual.

"Bonus is a simpler stove to use (in case of renters)"

I missed this sentence in the OP.

You gonna turn weekend tenants loose on a wood stove? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
don't do it!!

I have extensive experience in the landlord business as my fiancee owns 5 rental houses and I have been doing maintenance for 30 years. Also have dealt with a few evictions, I am 6-3 and 225.

A tenant can screw up anything.
What could possibly go wrong if you turn tenants loose on a wood stove?

Well, they could burn your house down.

Enviro (Boston 1200)
Jotul F 3 CB
Jotul F 400

In general I would agree with his advice. The Enviro is a good stove and it lends itself more to N/S loading than the Jotuls. I've owned both Jotuls. With the F400 I got tired of all the ash falling through the grate and eventually just let the ash pan fill up and scooped out the ashes. The stove worked better with the ash bed and it was no more mess. It can pour out the heat though and is a good looker. The F3CB is best with 16" wood. It's a willing little heater but it will go through the small load quickly if you are trying to raise room temp. Figure reloading every 2 hrs then, and every 4-6 hrs once room temp has stabilized.

Another vote for NOT letting renters run a wood stove, FWIW.

We love our Jotul 3cb. 20 years without an issue. 16” or smaller and thinner splits. It is a small stove and needs frequent loading but will hold coals overnight. Have heated our smallish ranch with 3+ cord a year going into year 21. Just not sure how the quality is on the newer ones.

We love our Jotul 3cb. 20 years without an issue. 16” or smaller and thinner splits. It is a small stove and needs frequent loading but will hold coals overnight. Have heated our smallish ranch with 3+ cord a year going into year 21. Just not sure how the quality is on the newer ones.
Their quality is still fantastic.

In general I would agree with his advice. The Enviro is a good stove and it lends itself more to N/S loading than the Jotuls. I've owned both Jotuls. With the F400 I got tired of all the ash falling through the grate and eventually just let the ash pan fill up and scooped out the ashes. The stove worked better with the ash bed and it was no more mess. It can pour out the heat though and is a good looker. The F3CB is best with 16" wood. It's a willing little heater but it will go through the small load quickly if you are trying to raise room temp. Figure reloading every 2 hrs then, and every 4-6 hrs once room temp has stabilized.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I've visited four fireplace stores and the guy selling Jotul and Enviro was by far the most helpful, pointing out pros and cons in each. Is the Enviro less smoky when loading because it's a deeper stove than say the Jotul F 400?

I believe I've winnowed it down to 2 stoves:

Enviro Boston 1200
pros: reputable, good looking, steel/iron combo, deep ash pan, longer burn time
cons: firebox opening feels a little tight, takes 18" max logs, sticks out into room a little further (32.5" from wall to front of stove)

Jotul F 400
pros: reputable, gorgeous, wide opening, wide open firebox takes 20"+ logs, only 25.5" wall to front of stove -- fits room layout better
cons: been told they smoke a little when loading, cast iron seam issues, firebox feels shallow in depth

Price for either is within $100.

My practical side thinks the Enviro is the way to go.
My "I've always wanted a beautiful enamel stove" side wants the Jotul.

I've exhausted local stores and am not going to look at any other brands at this point because I can't see them in person.

Regarding renters: I did light vacation rentals in prior house for 20 years without issue with woodstove. Have lost 2 homes to wildfire in 3 years. I don't worry anymore. My renters never burned anything down, but nature took it all in the end. I just insure the crap out of everything and if it burns, I'm leaving California forever with a wad of cash and never looking back.

Last edited: