what stove will give me the best bang for the buck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

preacherbiggin

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2010
Virginia
there's so many models to choose from . im looking at the cumberland stove works 3650, the pinnacle emerald, and the timber ridge multifuel models . i wnat to keep my choices open to multi fuel only.

How much are those stoves?

Any reason you haven't included any of the major manufacturers? Of course, you know with a question like that, you are going to get as many choices as answers!!! :p

no reasons really. what really caught my eye first was the TimberRidge( by englander) but i have read a lot of complaints about their customer service.(true or false i dont know) im new to the whole pellet/corn stoves but have been a wood stove operator for years. now i live in a mobile home and i miss the heat my wood stove gave me. the only safe economical option is corn/pellet stove. Im excited to get one quickly so any help and direction you all can give me will be MUCH appreciated.

I don't know what you have been reading, but Englander has the best customer service in the business. We even have their top man here on this forum as a regular. For a small budget and not afraid to work on a stove yourself, anything made by Englander would be your best bet. If you don't mind spending a little more and want more of an automated stove the Harman line is tough to beat.

The Timber Ridge you mentioned is made by ESW (Englander).
Imo their support is hard to beat from what I've seen here on
the forum.
There are members here who own these models, not sure just how
many here have the multi fuel but I'm sure they will offer their input.

Whatever model you get remember if there isn't decent service for that stove in your area you best be prepared to handle any issues yourself.

You need to spend as much or even MORE time checking out the reputation of the dealer/service folks. In fact it is wise to have a couple of places just in case one goes belly up, etc ... . This may restrict the brands you can choose between.

You've only asked about big box store brands. If you dont mind working on the stoves yourself this is fine. Englander does have great phone support. If you want to buy a stove that can be warranteed and serviced thru a hearth shop, you need to research some of the better stoves and go to a place that actually specializes in pellet stoves.

Remember, multi fuel stoves arent like wood stoves. They got a ton of little parts in em:
Snap disks
Vacuum switches
computer boards
Auger motors
Stirrer motors
Combustion fans
Convection fans.

For someone buying a pellet stove from a place that sells hammers and lumber, just be a real good do it your selfer

i work on guns ( gunsmithing) so working on small parts ect. shouldnt be a problem. i dont mind a bare bones model as long as the "meat and taters" are built tough. the idea of an automated system is drawing me though. i have a dealer about an hour away from me that specializes in wood stoves, gas log and pellet/multifuel sales. also i aint that far from Englanders factory ( round 1 hr 45 min) yall got me really lookin hard at the englanders. ( went and looked at one at Lowes today. dont think id buy one from them though)

Howdy Preacher (I feel like John Wayne again) ,

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a tractor Supply close by? They may have a US Stove pellet stove for ya. A multi fuel 6041. Pretty basic stove for fair price. Keep in mind what others have already said, you are the repairman if something is wrong with the stove if you by a stove from a "big box". You may need to be mechanic, electrician, or an electronics person. If your handy than get out there and start shopping ! If not than go see your local stove shop and get a feel for them and maybe ask some others who have stoves where they shop. Plenty of good stoves out there and good idea to get a multi fuel. Englanders are hard to beat, they do have good customer support so I hear. I have a US Stove and I like mine. Good luck with what ever you decide to get and lets have pictures posted once all is said and done !!

Schoondog

schoondog said:
Howdy Preacher (I feel like John Wayne again) ,

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a tractor Supply close by? They may have a US Stove pellet stove for ya. A multi fuel 6041. Pretty basic stove for fair price. Keep in mind what others have already said, you are the repairman if something is wrong with the stove if you by a stove from a "big box". You may need to be mechanic, electrician, or an electronics person. If your handy than get out there and start shopping ! If not than go see your local stove shop and get a feel for them and maybe ask some others who have stoves where they shop. Plenty of good stoves out there and good idea to get a multi fuel. Englanders are hard to beat, they do have good customer support so I hear. I have a US Stove and I like mine. Good luck with what ever you decide to get and lets have pictures posted once all is said and done !!

Schoondog

This stove is the most fun for the least bucks. And you don't need a service contact, it doesn't break down. IMHO

thats a good lookin stove. im headin over to their site right now to check it out. keep the advice coming fellers!

preacherbiggin said:
thats a good lookin stove. im headin over to their site right now to check it out. keep the advice coming fellers!

You should be able to buy one of these for $1,200 bucks somewhere either on eBay or at a clearance sale. This stove also is easily cutomizable and infinitely adjustable to burn any fuel.

whew theyre proud of them though aint they? thats a little pricey. im tryin to stay under $1800

Scoop said:
preacherbiggin said:

You should be able to buy one of these for $1,200 bucks somewhere either on eBay or at a clearance sale. This stove also is easily cutomizable and infinitely adjustable to burn any fuel.

ill keep an eye out for one at that price

will the "extra" features the Cumberland MF3650 make it a better stove than say the Timber Ridge 49-TRCPM or the US Stove Co. 6039?

I would say whatever stove you buy, make sure you can get parts for it easily, and get familiar on doing the repairs yourself. This forum is a great place to learn, and get advice when something goes wrong. Also remember that you' will get what you pay for in most cases, a cheap stove is going to be just that, it probably wont hold up in the long haul, or under a heavy load.

I dont know what stove is the best for the buck personally, I bought a Quadra Fire Castile, I liked the cast iron construction, and I liked the porcelain enameled coating in a mohogany color, so I went with that and its been a good performer, however it wasnt cheap.

Im sure you will get dozens of suggestions here, everyone has their own opinions of what brand works the best, and if I could have got a Harmon at the time I bought mine I would have. Harmon seems to be built like a brick outhouse, and they have been around for ages, and as far as I know they are not made in China, like many of the stoves are today.

Good luck in your decision, just remember, Safety is priority one when using a stove of any kind, your family's safety as well as your own depends on not only the type of stove you get, and the installation, but how you care for it, and clean it regularly to keep it working like new every single day.

Scoop,
Is hat your stove or a brochure you copied somewhere ?.... Man that looks nice!!

thanks.No that's my set up. Im basically heating the basement of at 2,300 square foot bungalo. It was a professional install. I made the hearth pad though.

Stan

talked to the guy from englander and from Cumberland today and accidently got a guy from heartland (too high!!!). gotta research the harman and Us stoves then ill pick. scoop that set up looks nice. clean install!

Is that a battery backup next to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.