What the heck is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
Ran across this splitting black walnut, I think carpenter ants are hatching aliens. My guess is some kind of egg pod?, but none of my searches showed anything like this. The last picture is interesting, the structure of it, including an access hole on one side of them, and the colors.

IMG_7257-1.jpg IMG_7257-2.jpg IMG_7257-3.jpg

Maybe coffee beans. What do they taste like? ;)
LOL, didn't think of tasting them....
1614831205921.gif
what can I say, I get fascinated by simple things. Maybe I need a trip!

I think this may be pods where they grow new queen ants - those that will fly out on a good day to mate with males (when you see the birds circling above to eat them...)

Reactions: MoDoug
I think this may be pods where they grow new queen ants - those that will fly out on a good day to mate with males (when you see the birds circling above to eat them...)
A royal nursery, nature is fascinating! Wanting to learn more about carpenter ants, I ran across this article on wikipedia, the detail they go into about these ants, is incredible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_ant

A royal nursery, nature is fascinating! Wanting to learn more about carpenter ants, I ran across this article on wikipedia, the detail they go into about these ants, is incredible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_ant

I'm no entomologist, but my dad keeps bees. That is where my guess is coming from.

But thanks. Exploding ants that spray glue-poison while blowing themselves up. Bedtime stories :rolleyes:
;)

• Wow
Reactions: MoDoug
Exploding ants that spray glue-poison while blowing themselves up. Bedtime stories :rolleyes:
;)
LOL No kidding, kamikaze ants, life can be stranger than fiction! That bedtime story brings to mind Enter Sandman!

Reactions: stoveliker