What to do with a Jotul 3 Classic Ventfree/Unvented Heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pnwstove

Oct 1, 2021
Oregon
I just picked up this Jotul 3 with the thought of using it on my covered back porch for heat, but it’s natural gas and conversion to propane (for a tank) is more spendy/hassle than I think it’s worth. Same with running a natural gas line. I DO want a VENTED NG stove in the house, so maybe I have that line run and then tee off through the wall to the porch and have this installed there?

Not sure on age or if it works. Is the sensor on the long wire some kind of thermostat? Where does it go? Looks to be in good shape otherwise, burners looks clean, etc.

Lots of info on here, but not a whole lot on these ventless heaters. The old repair guy in town said he wouldn’t give one of these to a friend, or his enemy…! Should I just sell this on and invest in something new?

1631196D-8E1D-4018-B4A7-C076B67E3FE6.jpeg 6807576E-439F-4613-A53C-42A922B7F7A4.jpeg 2DDE75DC-650C-4A11-B40F-756BEF41B0F6.jpeg 47408D61-C0CF-421F-9122-005222CC360E.jpeg FBAAB0A2-93DB-46F3-8957-1C7D6E6E5D95.jpeg

As long as the porch is open, it might be a nice way to get some heat out there on chilly evenings.

Three season or indoors would be a no for me, any accidental disruption of the fuel mix and you're pumping the room full of CO.

In my experience, NG is a little less stinky than propane so that would be another reason to pipe the natural gas to it.

Reactions: Pnwstove
Get one of those light up “flames” with the the little blower, rig it to work for a picture and sell as a non heating ambiance appliance;) or keep it that way.

Finish looks in good shape. I bet it has value to someone. If it’s on your deck/porch treat it like gas grill (ie not a UL appliance and see if you find/make your own propane burner.). Not sure how long the finish will stay that nice in the outdoor humidity.

I’d probably sell it on.

I passed up a half dozed as I just didn’t want ventless or the hassle of fixing keeping it running.

Reactions: Pnwstove
Thanks for the insights. Sounds like it’s best to pass this on. I’ve listed it on CL, we’ll see if anyone wants it.

I just picked up this Jotul 3 with the thought of using it on my covered back porch for heat, but it’s natural gas and conversion to propane (for a tank) is more spendy/hassle than I think it’s worth. Same with running a natural gas line. I DO want a VENTED NG stove in the house, so maybe I have that line run and then tee off through the wall to the porch and have this installed there?

Not sure on age or if it works. Is the sensor on the long wire some kind of thermostat? Where does it go? Looks to be in good shape otherwise, burners looks clean, etc.

Lots of info on here, but not a whole lot on these ventless heaters. The old repair guy in town said he wouldn’t give one of these to a friend, or his enemy…! Should I just sell this on and invest in something new?

View attachment 282540 View attachment 282541 View attachment 282542 View attachment 282543 View attachment 282544
"Lots of info on here, but not a whole lot on these ventless heaters. The old repair guy in town said he wouldn’t give one of these to a friend, or his enemy…!"

I agree....