What to do with old chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doc C

Minister of Fire
Jul 26, 2017
Bonner County Idaho
So we had an old wood cook stove in the house that never got used. It has been removed. A pantry is being built where the cook stove was.

Obviously I'm closing off the where the pipe entered the house but what about the chimney? It's entirely exterior.

I will probably take it down at some point but is there anything saying that it has to be removed at all? When we sell the house does anyone know of any requirements to remove it?

Thanks

Unless its falling down or looks bad i dont see any reason to tear it out. (Its a big job as well)

Unless its falling down or looks bad i dont see any reason to tear it out. (Its a big job as well)

It's even a bigger job because the chimney runs through the overhang of my roof so I would have to patch the roof sheathing, roof it, paint behind where the chimney was and possibly reconfigure my board and batton siding to make it look right.