What to do with scrub

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rippinryno

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2015
united states
I have what it becoming a very large pile of scrub. I get my wood delivered in logs and as we all know there is a percentage of it that is knotty or twisty and just won't split well. Since I'm a bit picky on what i split and stack I've got myself a great deal of scrubs. I can always burn them in the outdoor pit, but was wondering if there's anything you guys do with your odd pieces ?

Currently I've been tossing it all on an old concrete bin pad. It's messy looking, but I hate to throw it in the big burn pile and waste it.

I've pulled from it a few times to make kindling, but there's only so much kindling a guy needs lol.

Reactions: patrickk222

Check out this thread.

We use it all spend too much effort into firewood to be picky
what goes in my furnace or stove split wise.
I guess I'm not an upper-crust firewood connoisseur
just an old farmer

I use them if I need to get an hour or two covered for my next reload. One could also use them for small shoulder season fires if so inclined. Basically anything that does not need stove Tetris.

Be aware though that they may need longer drying time than nicely split cordwood in my experience.

I put them on top of my stacks. Other ideas for storage have been mentioned above.

Knottier the better! I throw them to the side for a random piece here and there. Usually a good one to burn midday during the fall/spring.

We cook a lot outside on the firepit....I got 3 kids so lots of hot dogs lol... so I'm always using them for that. I use them to hold down barn tin on top of my stacks. They are good for throwing in the stove when you don't need every inch of the firebox like others have mentioned.

Outdoor fire pit burning mostly. I pile them up on a couple of pallets to try and dry them quickly but only after being split down to something reasonable that could fit into the stove. I'll burn more in the stove this year since I had a lot of waste (shorts and uglies) and a dry summer that prevented much outdoor burning.

I keep all my odds and ends pieces and use them during the shoulder season or to tie me over till the next proper stove load. As was mentioned earlier, I put too much time and effort into processing my firewood to just throw anything away. Even punky crap is kept...for the outdoor fire pit :)

Punks, chunks and uglies get tossed on to the top of the stacks to season . . . and I try to use as many as I can during the shoulder seasons when I don't need to stuff the fire box to the gills.

Reactions: bigealta
It all gets split and stacked. I spend to much time on wood to throw it away. I have alot of wood, but I still keep it all..All the uglies go on top of the stack and we burn as we go.. I may burn alot in 1 day watching football and just hanging out..

Reactions: bigealta
with all my super knotty and twisty stuff that i cant use i usually gather up a bunch of kindling and use em to burn out stumps ol vines and what ever else usually needed to be burned to ash