What type of chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perky

Hearth Supporter
Aug 29, 2009
Northeast PA
Was wondering about stainless steel chimney liners for a non-electric coal stove. Currently have a Franco Belge with a 5" stainless steel flex liner. Have burned the stove for 24 year without any problems, but the stove in now broken. Considering getting an Alaska Kodiak and will need to change to a 6" liner. One dealer recommended going to a Duraliner rigid insulated set up. Another said to use 6" flex. There is a $1,000+ difference between the two. My chimney is through the center of the house and I've haven't had any problem with draft. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Just a thought, but I would pull the existing liner and inspect it before deciding. 24 years burning coal is a pretty good durability test.

If you go with 6" SS Flex you will want the 316 stainless according to the duraflex catalog, it stands up better to coal. Also, they don't mention the clearances needed for coal but I think it burns as hot or hotter than wood, so you will probably NEED insulation on the liner so it meet the UL 1777 standard. (I assume coal stoves require this?)

If you add insulation cost to the 6" flex that is probably another $300-$500, also they may have quoted you for a 304 liner, the 316 might be more.. Depending on your current flue size, the 6" flex can be hard toget down. An 8x12 clay is pretty much impossible to get a 6" insulated liner down.

The double wall insulated duraliner is nice stuff, we use the oval version to do safe installs on those 8x12 clay liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.