What type of steel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

borderbows

Mar 17, 2012
New Hampshire
Was looking to have a piece steel cut for the top of my Oslo 500 stove so that I don't have to cover it with aluminum foil each time I cook on it. Question is what type and how thick a piece should I use as to not get warped with extended use?

Most of the steel stoves are made of seven gauge mild steel. 3/16" for what it's worth. I would put a large cast iron griddle on top of it.

Northern tool sells a grill for the top of a wood stove,also a tea kettle and a surround keep whats behind and to the sides of the stove cool.

ote="BrotherBart, post: 1514076, member: 6"]Most of the steel stoves are made of seven gauge mild steel. 3/16" for what it's worth. I would put a large cast iron griddle on top of it.[/quote]
Probably what I'm gonna do seeing I already have a 14"x28"cast griddle from Cabela's up the camp and it's paid for.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Status
Not open for further replies.