What would you do with the 1.4 billion? form

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is some bad math. If you gave ever person is America just $1 you would be at $322 Million, never mind giving them half a million bucks each.
Don't burst his bubble, let him start this 500 grand payout on Cape Cod LOL !

Reactions: Cory S
I'd give a lot away, but not to causes or organizations. Too much of that never gets to where it is supposed to. I'd just hand it out as I saw the need. Of course I would start with the 'needs' of myself, family and friends

That is some bad math. If you gave ever person is America just $1 you would be at $322 Million, never mind giving them half a million bucks each.

Be sure to add on 41¢ each for each dollar you mail out. And yeah, mail out dollars, checks would cost a bit extra. Oh yeah, and envelopes. And pens. And physician fees for carpal tunnel syndrome.

Damn, there goes the profit.

*EDIT* Whoops I meant a 49¢ stamp per envelope.

Last edited:
I would take my mother shopping...then...make her put everything back.;)

Reactions: SXIPro
Wait, Wait ... I'll move just tell me where:)

The $500 grand will be the deposit on the house on the Cape when you move...you'll need a lot more.

The $500 grand will be the deposit on the house on the Cape when you move...you'll need a lot more.
Nah she can always rent, collect the stash and run back up to the north lands, better off up there anyway !

Last edited:

Finally a winner! I was wondering how long it would take. I only did it because I've seen it posted/reported before. I don't have to worry about it though, I don't play the lottery! :)

Finally a winner! I was wondering how long it would take. I only did it because I've seen it posted/reported before. I don't have to worry about it though, I don't play the lottery! :)
I don't play it either LOL ! If I was meant to be rich I would be but it's perfectly clear to me that I was meant for means just about sufficient for my needs ...

Reactions: FirepotPete
I bought a ticket tonight... I've spent $6 on worse things.

First thing I would do? Drive to FL to claim it, no state income tax there.

i
I bought a ticket tonight... I've spent $6 on worse things.

First thing I would do? Drive to FL to claim it, no state income tax there.
I wish all the luck in the world with it !

I would buy a medium sized house in hawaii, or some other place that never has bad weather and live my regular life, except just my wife and I would never work again. Not just job work, but no lawn care, home repair, cleaning etc.

Ha, I didn't want to spoil your dream. Then, I thought maybe you're one of those people who only believe Americans are native Americans. Either way, I thought I'd just let you enjoy your dream for a day or so, cause that's what buying a lottery ticket is, a right to dream a little.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Move some place warm, hand my house over to someone in need. Build off the grid, enrich others discretely

Sitting here watching the State of the Union, browsing the web, ended up on nytimes.com.

Some guy gives this idea, if he won:

1. Take the lump sum.
2. Rent hotel penthouse.
3. Become recluse.
4. Wear tissue boxes on feet.

That would work for me. I'd consider growing my fingernails out too.

For those that say you'd remain anonymous: good luck.... it states in the bylaws that you have to take a picture with the check and they do a press release with your name.

In other words, wear a disguise and use your initials.

Some states allow anonymity.

And some states don't take state taxes out of it.

Right now they are saying the cash out option would get you $1 billion. Take approx 40% for taxes that leaves $600 mil. I'd give $500,000 to every American citizen, that would be under $200 mil, I would hope then that people wouldn't bug ya any further and I could easily live off the rest, my needs aren't great I'd still keep it as simple as possible. Might splurge on some new ice fishing equipment.

If I gave one dollar ($1.00) to every american citizen It would cost me $300,225,390US*. How can you give each half a million unless you have very deep pockets now? However if you distributed to all pellet forum members... ;)

*this figure discounts the 7% non citizens in our population.

*this figure discounts the 7% non citizens in our population.

Where's your compassion? They have needs too.

Sitting here watching the State of the Union, browsing the web, ended up on nytimes.com.

Some guy gives this idea, if he won:

1. Take the lump sum.
2. Rent hotel penthouse.
3. Become recluse.
4. Wear tissue boxes on feet.

That would work for me. I'd consider growing my fingernails out too.
Would you pee into milk bottles too? HH did.

Right now they are saying the cash out option would get you $1 billion. Take approx 40% for taxes that leaves $600 mil. I'd give $500,000 to every American citizen, that would be under $200 mil, I would hope then that people wouldn't bug ya any further and I could easily live off the rest, my needs aren't great I'd still keep it as simple as possible. Might splurge on some new ice fishing equipment.
You realize there are 300 million Americans so you would need a lot more money then 600 million to give 500,000 to 300 million people. You could give one dollar and 66 cents to 300 million Americans with 500 million of your pretend money and I could be your accountant cause your lousy with numbers!!

Reactions: Mark_ms
Status
Not open for further replies.