Whats in your stove after an overnight burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
So here is what is left in my stove the past 2 nights. The burn time for both nights was after 11 hours. I added more wood after the pic.My box is a 2.3cuft, so my guess of actual wood in the box would be like 1.8 cuft wood. My stove top temp is 275 degrees. I'm burning nothing but oak at night
Feel free to list fire box size, wood used, lenth of time of your burn. Stove top temp ect
20181209_055911.jpg 20181208_054136.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a great burn time. I think my firebox is 2.1 and i get a smidge less of a burntime. I wish I could load my insert N-S. That would help me.

You do have to be careful though, the coatings on lenses can take a hit and melt.

You should probably have your camera inspected and swept if needed, lol.

My firebox is only about 1 sq ft., Jotul 3cb. If I pack it well about 10 pm, I will have good enough coals to start back up at 6 am, although stove top is down below 400 deg. It works for our smallish ranch, plus we supplement with a small pellet stove as needed. We’re just small time burners.

My firebox is only about 1 sq ft., Jotul 3cb. If I pack it well about 10 pm, I will have good enough coals to start back up at 6 am, although stove top is down below 400 deg. It works for our smallish ranch, plus we supplement with a small pellet stove as needed. We’re just small time burners.
Your stove top is even close to 400 after 8 hrs?

Interesting thread. I just happened to get up this morning at the 11 hr mark on my last load. Looks similar to the OP. 20% left possibly? A little less perhaps. STT @ 325F. Turned up the air a touch and taking the wife out for breakfast! Should be good to go for a few more hours. 1.8Cu.Ft. stove. If I recall!

After loading the stove the night before, 8hrs later there are enough coals to relight easily (Oslo). Put some softer easy start woods on the bottom and open the ash pan a bit to kick it off. Only takes a few seconds. The house at night warms a bit, then starts a long slow steady decline into the 60s till morning. The stove is right in the middle of our most used areas, kitchen, sunroom, livingroom, so that cool temps are turned around quickly. We don't need warm temps at night - thats what blankets are for. Overall, the system works very well. If the outside temps are below zero out, and since btu's come from wood, then reloading in the middle of the night isn't out of the question.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
Interesting thread. I just happened to get up this morning at the 11 hr mark on my last load. Looks similar to the OP. 20% left possibly? A little less perhaps. STT @ 325F. Turned up the air a touch and taking the wife out for breakfast! Should be good to go for a few more hours. 1.8Cu.Ft. stove. If I recall!

I think it is interesting. Many threads on here about overnight/long burns but no one has posted pic of what is actually left, box size, wood use, stt, ect.
I'm not intrested in turning this into a brand war
The purpose is to build some information for people to use as a reference when looking for a stove or running a stove. Its for people who are just getting into wood heating

I hope the people with experience would post there times and pics of whats left in the box

After loading the stove the night before, 8hrs later there are enough coals to relight easily (Oslo). Put some softer easy start woods on the bottom and open the ash pan a bit to kick it off. Only takes a few seconds. The house at night warms a bit, then starts a long slow steady decline into the 60s till morning. The stove is right in the middle of our most used areas, kitchen, sunroom, livingroom, so that cool temps are turned around quickly. We don't need warm temps at night - thats what blankets are for. Overall, the system works very well. If the outside temps are below zero out, and since btu's come from wood, then reloading in the middle of the night isn't out of the question.

Whats your box size, what do you burn, whats your stt

Temps have dropped into the teens at night now, I'll load the BK princess 2.85 cuft box with oak splits, I'll get 12 hrs out of it before stirring and reloading, coal size is usually equal to 4-5 soft ball sized lumps.

Whats your box size, what do you burn, whats your stt
Box size 2cuft
Wood white/red oak, cherry, elm, locust
Stt at 9pm 450-500, 5am 150-200.
Just worked through a couple weeks of white oak, now seems I'm into a section of cherry and elm. I'm not noticing a whole lot of difference in amounts remaining or in am stovetop temps between the two. If anything at all, the white oak disappears faster. An am picture here would indicate about half a gallon of coals, usually no semblance of splits remaining.

Temps have dropped into the teens at night now, I'll load the BK princess 2.85 cuft box with oak splits, I'll get 12 hrs out of it before stirring and reloading, coal size is usually equal to 4-5 soft ball sized lumps.

If you can post a pic

I hope the people with experience would post there times and pics of whats left in the box

Just re loaded at 13 hrs. STT 275 F. Cat still very active. Could have left it for another hour at least. This was a convenient time to re load.

No use taking a pic of my stove. Unless you want a pic of a blackboard from 3 feet away;lol

14 F outdoors. Brrr. I was in 86 F yesterday at this time;)

As a FYI, using the ash pan to start fire is no no due to risk of damage stove.

As a FYI, using the ash pan to start fire is no no due to risk of damage stove.
I know - very well aware of that. And I think that it's been hashed through here multiple times, with my conclusion being using it to go from coals to flames is not bad, but any more than that is too much. And much better than a simmering smudge pot waiting to get going. A hand on the handle giving it some air, I'm comfortable with that. That's just me. And that's coming from a trained monkey, so don't try this at home.

Reactions: Joyboy
Oh lawd that pic kills me! Here in softwood country after 8 hrs I wake up to just a couple small coals left In a bigger stove...
2B6A2CC5-1D21-426F-9BC5-067F6AD455F8.jpeg

Ashes, just ashes :(

I think the placement of my wood stove is the cause. About 25ft of windows (about 4 feet high), in a fully insulated/with regular ceiling (not glass) sunroom, but on the adjacent wall is a brick wall (old house, sunroom was an add-on).

Stove is a regency f2400, rated at 8hours burn time. I am already looking to upgrade after a week. Ugh.

Ashes, just ashes :(
I think the placement of my wood stove is the cause. About 25ft of windows (about 4 feet high), in a fully insulated/with regular ceiling (not glass) sunroom, but on the adjacent wall is a brick wall (old house, sunroom was an add-on).

Stove is a regency f2400, rated at 8hours burn time. I am already looking to upgrade after a week. Ugh.

I have Regency i2400 (the insert), and I usually get a small coal bed (inch or so high) after an eight hour burn. But I have to pack it -- rake the coals to the front or side, and pack wood tight full. Like two rows of four pieces. And then cut the draft back to a quarter or less once I get the secondaries going, but over a ten minutes period or so. If I don't push the coals to the side, everything catches at once and I sit up a couple hours worrying about overfiring. Stove temps 275-300 in the am (last night temps dropped to 13). Wish I could get twelve hours but eight is pretty good for this stove.

Here it is after 8.5 hours from restart this morning from a bed of coals. Door temps at 225, so keeping just this room at 71. Rear of the house is 64-65. Just reloaded, but I guess I'm probably getting more than 10 pieces (3-6 inch splits) or so in there overnight when I pack it.

Attachments

• 62714F39-15C4-45FD-97EB-7D7C44409FC5.jpeg
    62714F39-15C4-45FD-97EB-7D7C44409FC5.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 196