What's mounted over your fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I've always wanted to mount a gun over my fireplace and now that I have one, I think my sxs 12ga. is going up. What do you have? Feel free to show some pics!

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Wife tolerates them, but I doubt they will be hanging over the mantle any time soon.

I think she wants to put a mirror over it.

I have a friend that displays a black powder rifle and some black powder pistols behind his woodstove.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Wife tolerates them, but I doubt they will be hanging over the mantle any time soon.

...we still talking about guns here?? ;)

I think she wants to put a mirror over it.

I have a friend that displays a black powder rifle and some black powder pistols behind his woodstove.

I've read elsewhere that if you do mount guns, you have to oil/clean them more or else the stocks will crack and, with traditional fireplaces, they'll get covered in soot.

Matt

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

Nothing over my fireplace. Just a stove in it. Of course the rest of the room is filled with hand carved duck decoys if somebody wants to look at something beside the fire.

Maybe you hang a Glock over it. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Nothing over my fireplace. Just a stove in it. Of course the rest of the room is filled with hand carved duck decoys if somebody wants to look at something beside the fire.

I'd love to see a pic of that. Sounds like where decoys go to die.

Maybe you hang a Glock over it. :lol:

Nahh....Glock's aren't fireplace guns...It needs to be a classic gun that sees little use and doesn't provoke people to want to steal it.

-Emt1581

Don't have a fireplace anymore. There is a brick mantel above the Lopi in the house. It's about 12' wide, and holds a number of decorative doodads and military memorabilia, including my sword...but no guns.

fossil said:
Don't have a fireplace anymore. There is a brick mantel above the Lopi in the house. It's about 12' wide, and holds a number of decorative doodads and military memorabilia, including my sword...but no guns.

Sword? Are you a Marine?

In terms of a brick mantel, again, any pics?

-Emt1581

No. It is where they go waiting for the carver to die. Value doubles the next day and goes up from there.

The Glock wouldn't dry out like a wood stocked long gun. And if you leave a full clip in it then it could provide some entertainment around two o'clock some morning.

emt1581 said:
fossil said:

Sword? Are you a Marine?

In terms of a brick mantel, again, any pics?

-Emt1581

30+ years in the Navy (yes, Naval Officers wear swords on occasion). Retired now for 10+. You wouldn't like the pics, because my stovepipe runs right straight up (gasp!) from my stovetop to the cathedral ceiling...inside the room. In plain view of everyone!. Oh, the horror, the horror. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
No. It is where they go waiting for the carver to die. Value doubles the next day and goes up from there.

Is there really that big of a market for old decoys?? Sounds like what happens with paintings...

The Glock wouldn't dry out like a wood stocked long gun. And if you leave a full clip in it then it could provide some entertainment around two o'clock some morning.

Ha! Yeah I wouldn't worry at all about the structure. But I wouldn't leave any gun loaded in that location. It'd be the ultimate kick in the nuts to be killed with my own gun.

If I were going to mount any pistol it'd be the absolute jewel of my collection which is my grandfather's 1911 that he used as a Marine in WWII. Worth it's weight in gold to me...but that's the same reason it'll never be mounted over the fireplace.

-Emt1581

fossil said:
30+ years in the Navy (yes, Naval Officers wear swords on occasion). Retired now for 10+. You wouldn't like the pics, because my stovepipe runs right straight up (gasp!) from my stovetop to the cathedral ceiling...inside the room. In plain view of everyone!. Oh, the horror, the horror. :ahhh:

Oh stifle it!

In any case, thanks for your service. :)

-Emt1581

I have a 42" Ultravision plasma. I will find pics soon and post them.

emt1581 said:
fossil said:

Oh stifle it!

In any case, thanks for your service. :)

-Emt1581

Thank you for your service Army here!!!

Pictures of my daughters, as infants. and this p.o.s. 2 dollar wallly world bright red clock. that goes click-click-click---- a real head ache at 2 am when all I wanna do is listen to the stove suckin fresh air and roarin' away!! used to be a nice big elk mount, but I lost that battle too---------

emt1581 said:
Nahh....Glock's aren't fireplace guns...It needs to be a classic gun that sees little use and doesn't provoke people to want to steal it.

Odd comment. Do people usually enter your home and take stuff? And a "classic gun" can be worth a LOT more than anything modern.

BrowningBAR said:
Odd comment. Do people usually enter your home and take stuff? And a "classic gun" can be worth a LOT more than anything modern.

I was talkng about a break-in. And I meant classic in the sense of being nice looking and easily identified. To give you an idea of value, my sxs is an old Springfield and I bought it a few months ago for $150otd. Not exactly worth a lot.

-Emt1581

misc. "objects" that change with the seasons and some art work. Hmmm, the dogs ashes arn't in that pic. Some day she needs to go to camp.

Attachments

• Montpiler install 017.jpg
    Montpiler install 017.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,046
A 15 lb walleye I caught in Canada 7 or eight years ago...the crazy thing is the walleye only weighed 12 lbs when I caught her.

Over the Fireview in the house is a soapstone mantel on two decorative iron brackets (black). On the mantel is a deer skull, what I think may be a portion of a deer spine, a mummified toad, and a porcelain cat. Hanging over the mantel is a metal relief of Japanese inspired cherry blossoms that belonged to my grandmother (black). The soapstone mantel, black brackets, and black relief echo the materials used in the stove.

I still have to put the final polish on the Classic in the "Salon" (my studio). I plan to use a mirror and "gild the lily" with some interesting stencil work in a classical motif... think Greek Keys, Acanthus leaves, etc..

Nothing says cozy wood heat in the depths of a cold winter like a mummified toad. %-P Rick

fossil said:
Nothing says cozy wood heat in the depths of a cold winter like a mummified toad. %-P Rick

Yeah really! Do animals get nervous in your house??

That is pretty cool though...to have a mummified anything. I saw on tv the other day they are now selling dinosaur poop for a few bucks...I think I'll pass but it might be something to consider for right next to that toad... ;)

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
I saw on tv the other day they are now selling dinosaur poop for a few bucks...I think I'll pass but it might be something to consider for right next to that toad... ;)

Now that is some real "fossil fuel".

The toad had likely become trapped in a pool cover that was folded up and stored away for the summer season. I uncovered the poor little thing when the cover was delivered to me for repair at the end of the swimming season. He was perfectly preserved and for some reason I just couldn't dump him into the trash. I hate finding the remains of anything trapped in a man-made crypt.

The deer skull and spine were discovered by the dog while we were out on our rounds. I confess, I have a decided forensic propensity and things like that interest me. What can I say?

Bobbin said:
...What can I say?

No need to say a thing, Bobbin. I, for one, revel in the diversity of what folks choose to find interesting, worthy of keeping, collecting...whatever. In fact, back just a few years ago, I made some decent $$$ on Ebay selling off stuff out of our closets that we no longer valued, but somebody else did. Didn't have any mummified toads, though. :) Rick

Bobbin said:
The deer skull and spine were discovered by the dog while we were out on our rounds. I confess, I have a decided forensic propensity and things like that interest me. What can I say?

What you can say is that what you have over your stove are things you saved. Not what you might have shot them with. :smirk:

Disclosure: I own guns and have a carry permit. Just no weapons or victims displayed over my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.