What's the best bang for the buck on a new dump cart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a nominal fee.

Almost $400 for shipping to here.
Kind of like when the wife and I wanted a dresser from IKEA. A 3 drawer dresser. We looked all over and could not find what we wanted. They were half of the next closest thing we found. Were 3 hours from one but its an hour and 10. Mins from farm. I said see what shipping costs. I think it was $300!! I said I think there paying a guy in a pickup to drive it to you!!! I'm pretty sure that's what they did after going to store and seeing the shipping signs about third party delivery!! Why don't the third party get it and then ship fedex?? The stuff couldn't coated $50 or 60 to ship!!

Well, I'm done looking for a while. Not a dumper but I've got a cheap poly dumper for all the ATV dumping I'll want to do.

Ain't she a beauty? :)

Got some mods half-planned for the body, that's the way I got it. Brought the first load of wood out of the woods tonight, trial run - and I gotta say, nothing beats walking beams for woods work.

Ever tip that thing over? Looks like it wouldn't take much - no offence, just that I have done it myself. Last time it happened something big went crashing unseen through the bushes about 50 feet away when I was re-piling it, pretty sure it was a bear with the sign around.

Anyway, that's the main reason I've got my eyes open for one with 4 wheels & walking beams. This is the one I was looking at above, just can't find the danged thing up here:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200377293_200377293

We have one of those but did not get the dual axle. The mesh bed is a bit weak so I just laid some osb in there and it works fine. Also with the wide tires, it really works nice in mud and snow. Right now I have some osb all around it for hauling apples. Works like a charm. Just have to be careful loading it else there is not much weight on the tongue. If going down the road that way it can get squirrely. Usually on the road I go around 20 mph and it does fine.

I bought a used 12 cubic foot Cub Cadet branded cart a couple years ago. I think its an AgriFab cart. Very light duty sheet metal and the wheels that it came with were junk. The hubs would collapse with any weight on them.
DSC06273.JPG 0224111720.jpg 0501111707.jpg

After spending way too much money to replace these wheels twice I get a set of 45 year old IH Cub Cadet GT wheels and they have held up fine.

Does the poly cart have drain holes? How do u keyed it from filling with water if stored outside.
Adding water is half the fun of these carts though.;)

I bought the OHIO STEEL model (which is actually poly) last year fron TSC and it has been nice for all I need. No rusting.

Attachments

• DumpCart 027.JPG
    DumpCart 027.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 576
Reactions: Todd 2
Here is my new rig and dump trailer. Rated for 1 ton, hand pump hydraulic pump, dual axle, 22 cubic feet- more if piled up , 7' bed.around $800 delivered. I decided on this one over a bosski, which seems like a tank, but close to $2k. So far, I love it. IMG_20131014_152943_884.jpgIMG_20131017_155846_079.jpgIMG_20131017_155834_559.jpg

My dump cart is a 20 year old Craftsman that I bought second hand and it's on it's last legs (have rebuilt it twice in the last 10 years).....so between Tractor Supply, Sears, Lowes, or Home Depot what model is the best bag for the buck these days? I did a search but was getting too many false positives....thanks.
Anybody heard of OxCart.com? It’s got a power-assisted hydraulic lift like the ones on SUV liftgates that makes handling & dumping loads feel much lighter and easier. Old carts have a center dump pivot point so they dump like teeter-totter. Heavy stuff slides/shifts and the tub slams to ground abruptly without any control. OxCart looks like way less fatigue. It’s got a safer offset rear dump pivot point - makes a longer fulcrum providing more control too. It side dumps /swivels too with the hydraulic lift. Makes backing easy. They have optional tractor-grade tires and graphoil bushings by Carlisle. It looks like you can get Run-Flat Tires which self-seal most punctures instantly before losing any air. Looks like they just branded it Craftsman on Sears.com too. Check them out.

Kohler Testimonial_IA_5.jpg

Attachments

• Lawn America Landscape Co Testimonial_IA_4.jpg
    Lawn America Landscape Co Testimonial_IA_4.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 437
  • NCEE Testimonial_IA_7.jpg
    NCEE Testimonial_IA_7.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 416
Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of the poly 12.5 cuft dump carts (craftsman). Suitable for maybe hauling leaves and grass clippings around. Not suitable for banging around in the woods and hauling several hundred pounds of firewood around - especially up steep hills with garden tractor (to evenly balanced and not enough weight on the tongue).

I poked around here and looked up many that folks recommended a few years back. Good ones were over $500 and still things about em I didn't like or would have to modify. So I decided to build my own. Designed it from scratch with specific things in mind (length of logs to haul, balance, hitch type, hinged and removable tailgate, etc) and its worked out well. I never did get around to finishing it yet, and I've since broken out some of the tailgate boards I have to replace.

IMG_0692.jpg

30 cuft, real 5 lug 1750 lb spindles, 10.5" wide tires, 2" ball hitch

IMG_4607-1024.jpg
Doesn't dump but I wasn't needing that as a feature.

I can reposition the axle too with 4 bolts. I found going up the big hill that I preferred it further back with more weight transferred to the drive axle of the tractor. Its about to the point if its packed tight or heaped its starting to lift the front end of the tractor so I plan on adding some weight to the front of the tractor too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErikR
I've got a Craftsman poly dump cart that I have used for the last 13 years..... of course I had to replace a few things over the years. Those of you that have a similar cart know that not all the material in the cart dumps out. Just recently I found a liner for unloading my cart. Check out www.thecartbuddy.com

Here's a couple of my little Craigslist special $40. Not much but I haven't broken it yet.;lol

Attachments

• Wagon.jpg
    Wagon.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 425
  • Mower wagon.jpg
    Mower wagon.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 558
Status
Not open for further replies.