Whats The Difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hdguy

Aug 5, 2011
Southern Illinois
Okay we have narrowed our choices down to
Lopi Freedom insert and the Avalon Olympic.
I cant tell much of a difference between them, they are both made by Travis industries.
Does anyone know of any real difference in these inserts.

bump to the top. Can someone help this fellow?

Welcome to the forum hdguy.

Well, there really isn't a hell of a lot of difference between them...although I've no idea about prices, there could well be a difference there. Avalon (the Olympic you're looking at) is sort of Travis' "Top of the Line" line of appliances, while the Lopis are (supposedly) a notch below. A lot of that, I think, has to do with customizing accesories offered, or whatever (maybe nothing more than "snob-appeal" marketing). In the case of the two inserts you mentioned, The Olympic has a slightly larger firebox, and is heavier, but apparently made from slightly lighter guage steel...no, I can't explain that, I'm just looking at numbers on Travis' website. The advertised BTU outputs of the two are within about 1% of each other, for what that's worth (probably not much). They both take 24" wood E-W. Travis doesn't seem to want to tell me how deep they are N-S. That's about all I know, other than the fact that they make fine quality appliances, and I have a Lopi Liberty in my home and I've been quite happy with it. Rick

http://www.travisindustries.com/

I'd measure the N/S of my FreedomBay ........... But it's running right now!
The Lopi is great quality heavy (thick) steel. Compare the door and hinges with other brands and I really like the bypass damper feature.

NextEndeavor said:
...I really like the bypass damper feature.

Ditto. I love that feature on the Liberty. I didn't think to look whether or not either of two inserts the OP named included a bypass damper. It's not essential, but I sure like having it during startups. Rick

I have a Lopi Declaration, and love it. It measures 14.5 n/s. My dealer told me that the only difference between the Lopi and the Avalon perfect fit was the faceplate, so we just had to decide on the look we wanted. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.