What's the Temp by you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
-8 in central Indiana at the moment, -22 wind chill..stove can't eat enough wood. Running a 700F flue to stay at 68 in house. Glad I just swept it or I'd just be letting the furnace handle it. RIP my wood stack. This smoke dragon goes away for next winter. Happy new year!

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
The past week has been brutal here in southern Maine. These are my last 6 overnight lows, actual air temp not wind chill: -8, -14, -24, -20, -8, -23 this AM. Daytime highs have been single numbers as well. At least it's making good ice for ice fishing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allagash350
We are at about 5 right now not sure about the wind chill. It's cold but house is 75 to 78, the stoves are not having a proble keeping up. The rest of the week looks to be not much better.

-27C (-17f) makes it a record low for Jan 1st here. My electric heat was on when I got up. The neighbours(bors) gas furnaces are giving off more steam than my chimney and the ice is clinging to their walls.

-12 this morning when we woke up in Central IL. That is about 30* lower than our average lows. Just crazy cold for this area.

Nice and balmy here this morning...no worries as the White Oak and Locust is taking it all in stride... IMG_3093.PNG

This is a decent cold snap for us. Its currently 8 F eastern long island.

Seven below minus 18 wind chills,the King Parlor is keeping us toasty.

-31F actual temp, not windchill, at 7:00 am on Dec 31; heatwave and -20F at 7:00 am Jan 1. Summer is on the way.

Little chilly here now View attachment 219382

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snazzy set up . . . two questions . . . 1) What's the brand? 2) Is it reliable?

My current set up tends to show higher temps? For example, this morning it showed -2 degrees F . . . got in my brother in law's vehicle and it was -10 degrees F.

The past week has been brutal here in southern Maine. These are my last 6 overnight lows, actual air temp not wind chill: -8, -14, -24, -20, -8, -23 this AM. Daytime highs have been single numbers as well. At least it's making good ice for ice fishing.

. . . and safer ice for snowmobiling!

Snazzy set up . . . two questions . . . 1) What's the brand? 2) Is it reliable?

My current set up tends to show higher temps? For example, this morning it showed -2 degrees F . . . got in my brother in law's vehicle and it was -10 degrees F.

It’s a lacrosse technology I bought it at canadian tire it seems to be pretty accurate I check the weather network and seems to be on point with what everything else is saying my wife’s car says the same temp as the thermometer I have the receiver thingy up high on a post and the sun beems on it good and doesn’t seem to throw it off I have a cheap one that when the sun hits it it jumps temp quit a bit throwing it way off

Reactions: firefighterjake
A little game . . . how many cats can you spot in the picture?

Hint: Most of the cats are on the camping cot in front of the woodstove . . .

P.S. Forgive me for not having the cleanest stove . . . with these temps I've been more focused on the heat vs. keeping it all pretty. Hoping for a break with some 20 degree weather forecast later this week so I can clean the glass and dump the ashes.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 294
Reactions: Sprinter and AbrK
We had a regular temp low of -26 this morning, attached is the wind chill chart.
image1.png

A little game . . . how many cats can you spot in the picture?

Hint: Most of the cats are on the camping cot in front of the woodstove . . .

P.S. Forgive me for not having the cleanest stove . . . with these temps I've been more focused on the heat vs. keeping it all pretty. Hoping for a break with some 20 degree weather forecast later this week so I can clean the glass and dump the ashes.

5 lol ?

Reactions: AbrK
Right now -11F. Will make it above 0F today -- time for a swim.

videothumbnail_5b29e56646d2446b8376ff0c98167b8b.jpg

-10 F at 7 AM in Amherst Massachusetts. I'm using a hair drier to thaw a freezing pipe in my unheated garage. Cat is stretched out in front of the wood stove.

IMGP2605.JPG

Reactions: Sprinter
-2 this am, so far the coldest it’s been since winter started.

We had a regular temp of -16 this morning but the temps are going up to 19 today, we'll take it.

This morning, (1/2/18) the temperature was -15ºF in southern New Hampshire. Obviously, temperatures are much colder in NH's north country We had our wood stove going all weekend. Kept our farm house pretty warm.