What's the Temp by you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
+15 F right now (early am), and about +10 F last night - so normal temperatures. Where I'm at in Idaho is just below the cold trough. So not far enough above (= colder temps) or far enough below (= warmer temps).

Woke up yesterday morning to a cold house(Ran out of home heating oil ) We burned 250 Gal of oil for the month of December. Almost double our normal use. Crazy.

Laundry room drain froze up today . . . first time that has happened since we bought the house back in 1996. Yup . . . it's cold.

I have started keeping a space heater in the master bathroom. It is the farthest water has to travel from our pressure tank, the farthest from the stove and I am afraid a pipe is going to freeze overnight.

Woke up yesterday morning to a cold house(Ran out of home heating oil ) We burned 250 Gal of oil for the month of December. Almost double our normal use. Crazy.
You do have a wood stove don't you ?

Laundry room drain froze up today . . . first time that has happened since we bought the house back in 1996. Yup . . . it's cold.
Should we be putting anti-freeze in these drains ?

Should we be putting anti-freeze in these drains ?

if you're not going to be using it for an extended period of time yes, if you're using it quite often then no since when you use it you will just flush the antifreeze out of it, you could add some to it after every use if you wanted to though, just make sure it's rv antifreeze not automotive

19.4 deg F at 0600, 24 hours ago it was -13 F ...better than the -22f after xmas. Supposed to stay like this till end of month.

12 now. Not nearly as punishing as zero the last couple mornings. !!! And room temp is 64 instead of 62. BL fire in the hole! >> Today will be the warmest here this week..about 25. Looks like we'll be out of the woods come Sunday. :)

The wind chill will be the big thing for our area, this is for our area.
Tonight
Snow before 4am, then snow showers after 4am. Low around -10. Wind chill values as low as -31. West wind 15 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Friday
Snow showers. Areas of blowing snow. High near -8. Wind chill values as low as -34. West wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Friday Night
Snow showers likely, mainly before 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around -17. Wind chill values as low as -37. West wind 11 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday
Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -10. Wind chill values as low as -38. West wind 9 to 11 mph.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around -26. Southwest wind 3 to 7 mph.

D230AB9E-0484-46F8-BEFF-239082940EE5.jpeg

24 and still snowing here in Maine.
It’s warm enough that I should be able to sleep through the night and not have to reload, but I’m worried about power outages so I’ll reload around 2 probably. This red oak was from a massive tree I took down 3 years ago and is awesome for overnight burns.

Stay warm everyone!

7* here.....40 mph wind gust....gotta pick up 2.5 to cords of 3 year old red oak n black locust early tomorrow mornin...oughta be fun!

We are finally going to get warming trend, 20's , Been a cold 10 days.

rplot.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
10F is starting to feel downright normal at this point.

Anything in the double digits after all of last week feels downright balmy . . . on Wednesday when the temps went up to the mid-20s I saw a couple guys in their T-shirts outside (albeit I don't think they were planning on staying outside for any great length of time.)

-3F this morning and we got another 6" of snow. 1F now and will be -7F tonight.

Next week we get a break with some temps in the 20's and 30's.

Using the new boiler more this week then I did all last year. 500 gallons..ready to go..the Buderus purring away. :) And of course...and fully stocked NC30 that is destroying my wood pile.

Was -7 at 8:00 this morning in SE Michigan, currently +4. Have transitioned from my ash to the oak. Staying toasty.

Saw a dog running loose today, looks like it's cable snapped from being so cold since it was dragging part it around. Couldn't get it to come, so hopefully it made it back home or someone else was able to get it inside.

A little game . . . how many cats can you spot in the picture?

Hint: Most of the cats are on the camping cot in front of the woodstove . . .
Jake, I love the pic. We now have four cats and a dog. This is a familiar scene... We count 5. Is one hidden off the cot Or two huddled up? You said "most". Wife will not stop bugging me until we get an answer;)

Okay, never mind. We (I) didn't see the black one nearest the stove. Nice cozy scene. We agreed to stop at four, but it's hard to resist taking another rescue home sometimes when you know they're going to have a hard life otherwise. Good going Jake.

Jake, I love the pic. We now have four cats and a dog. This is a familiar scene... We count 5. Is one hidden off the cot Or two huddled up? You said "most". Wife will not stop bugging me until we get an answer;)

Okay, never mind. We (I) didn't see the black one nearest the stove. Nice cozy scene. We agreed to stop at four, but it's hard to resist taking another rescue home sometimes when you know they're going to have a hard life otherwise. Good going Jake.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...594cc07e790777c49ff4fa2aa4cef8ad&action=click

Sorry . . . the correct answer is six . . . which you did get on your second try at least. ;) :) The other two cats are anti-social.

I feel for you folks. They had Kent, CT, my wife's hometown, on the news last night. Ice flows melted and released clogging the Housatonic causing a lot of flooding. And now it will be refreezing, right over Rt. 7. This scene looks to be playing out in NY state too. What a mess.

Minor flooding around here . . . went out to check on our nearly finished ATV bridge we put in this Fall . . . all I can say is I'm really glad we listened to this old guy who had a bucket loader when he advised us to build the bridge on two concrete blocks (approximately 2 1/2-3 feet tall) stacked on top of each other.

At the time it looked a bit silly since the stream had maybe two or three inches of water in it . . . yesterday the water was maybe 6-8 inches from spilling over the top of the bridge and block.