What's this Creo soot ad I keep seeing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The BK and IS...completely agree with regard to looks. Not impressed with the build of BK as much either. Then again, I’ve seen thinner stoves and ken one that is just fine...and throws tremendous heat. So, not sure heavy build is all that important with regard to heat output. Peace of mind, maybe.
Have yet to see any WS stoves in person.
Bk stoves hold up pretty well. Build quality isn't an issue with them.

And yeah I work on 20 or so woodstock stoves. I wouldn't say they were common in our area but they are around.

Which model Buck did you not like? How old?
Our family owned an old one for years that my uncle copied and made his own changes to the design. Still, they were both good stoves, great for heat, but not good by today’s standards.

I’ve looked at the build quality of newer Buck stoves as recent as 2019 stoves. As far as being heavily built and quality of build they are as impressive to me as the Drolet stoves I’ve looked at that so many people rave about, same heavy construction as the Osborn stoves I’ve looked at, though maybe not as easy on the eyes, and as heavy made as the Lopi Liberty that I own...at least looking from and comparing the outside of the two stoves even though there are differences. All these brands have 5/16” top plates, some of the heaviest in the industry. Regency may rank with them as well as far as heavy construction and top plate thickness. Love them or hate them, Buck’s name has stood the test of time...at least as long as some of these others, and maybe longer than some. Are they the best? Not by a long shot, neither are they the worst. Speaking strictly from a build perspective. I will say that in the last Bucks EPA numbers were not impressive by any means compared to these other brands, but they’ve had to come around some in order to meet new 2020 regulations. A few models have passed, which puts them as another option for people.
Buck 94 NC, as I mentioned kept it one month and sold at a loss of $1000 just to get rid of it, ate wood ferociously, wouldn't burn over 4 hours, and heat output was pathetic. Maybe I got a bad one,anystove manufacturerer can produce a lemon, my guess.I 'm glad you got a good one.

Buck 94 NC, as I mentioned kept it one month and sold at a loss of $1000 just to get rid of it, ate wood ferociously, wouldn't burn over 4 hours, and heat output was pathetic. Maybe I got a bad one,anystove manufacturerer can produce a lemon, my guess.I 'm glad you got a good one.
Odd, for sure. Don’t misunderstand my comments above...the Bucks we had were pre-epa. Lol!! No tubes...no cats, no fire bricks. Real old Buck stove.
I’ve never heard of another newer Buck having that short a burn time. Don’t own one now, but have looked at a few and they are built well. Of course looking is different than using.

Bholler, could you check your messages?

After burning it only a month there is no way you had really learned how to use the stove. We have lots of customers with bucks and I can't think of any with complaints like yours. No they don't burn as long as a bk can but everyone I know who has used them says they are heating monsters.

I've always heard the same...even of their modern stoves. Nice looking stoves too.
I wouldn't nessecarily say nice looking myself. Just neutral and inoffensive like most of the simple black boxes with a glass door on the market. Nothing wrong with that at all.

After burning it only a month there is no way you had really learned how to use the stove. We have lots of customers with bucks and I can't think of any with complaints like yours. No they don't burn as long as a bk can but everyone I know who has used them says they are heating monsters.
It doesn't take much to figure out if a stove suits your needs, Buck didn't suit mine, however for those who've had good results with theirs that's great news. At this point after going through a few stoves the BK line has hit it out of the park for me. I seriously doubt if I'd ever deviate.

It doesn't take much to figure out if a stove suits your needs, Buck didn't suit mine, however for those who've had good results with theirs that's great news. At this point after going through a few stoves the BK line has hit it out of the park for me. I seriously doubt if I'd ever deviate.
And that is fine. I am glad you found a stove that fits your needs so well. Just don't bash an entire stove brand because you didn't take the time to figure out how to properly use the stove. If you were going through a load of wood in a 4.4 cuft stove in 4 hours and not getting much heat either there was something very wrong with the install or you were simply burning it wide open. Either way it wasn't the stove manufacturers fault.

Reactions: fbelec
sounds like it was wide open for sure. it will burn very quickly and all the heat will go up the chimney.

I see commercials for the creosote logs all the time, doesn't apply to me since I don't have a fireplace but even odder, in my area, very few people use their fireplaces these days and the new homes don't even have fireplaces so I am not sure why they advertise frequently in my area. I do wish though I had a fireplace, I would use all the time in fall and winter.

And that is fine. I am glad you found a stove that fits your needs so well. Just don't bash an entire stove brand because you didn't take the time to figure out how to properly use the stove. If you were going through a load of wood in a 4.4 cu ft stove in 4 hours and not getting much heat either there was something very wrong with the install or you were simply burning it wide open. Either way it wasn't the stove manufacturers fault.
Please ,don't tell me i don't know how to run a stove, the install was done by the same guy that did all my stoves, the Buck was just junk it happens. If the shoe fits i wear it. End of story. And why would I run a stove wide open, you must really deal with lots of idiots in your life, to believe or surmise some of the things you do. The Buck was in my opinion junk, you'll just have to deal with it stuff happens in life that's oftentimes unforeseen, or unexplainable.Any manufacturer can produce a lemon.

Please ,don't tell me i don't know how to run a stove, the install was done by the same guy that did all my stoves, the Buck was just junk it happens. If the shoe fits i wear it. End of story. And why would I run a stove wide open, you must really deal with lots of idiots in your life, to believe or surmise some of the things you do. The Buck was in my opinion junk, you'll just have to deal with it stuff happens in life that's oftentimes unforeseen, or unexplainable.Any manufacturer can produce a lemon.
Did you have your installer or dealer come out to figure out what was wrong? Again burning through 4 cubic feet of wood in 4 hours without getting lots of heat in a stove everyone else says makes massive btus tells me something is wrong. If it was a lemon why didn't you return it to the dealer instead of voluntarily loosing $1000.

Reactions: fbelec