What's this weed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
A few of these popped up on the edge of my lawn this summer. We had bird feeders out all winter, and the birds were dropping seed all over the place. At first we thought they were going to be corn, but they are not corn.
IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0698.JPG

Looks like millet. It's a common cheap filler seed in birdseed mixes.

BG is probably right with pearl millet but it looks similar to some sorghum sudan crosses I've seen. How tall is it?

I was going to say sorghum as some grow it for feed and needs half the water of corn.

Remember this is NY. That's why I think it is pearl millet sprouted from the birdseed.

We have a local mill that bags animal and bird food. You never know what the bin may have in it for leftovers.

Rats?

I know they use millet for filler. Most birds won't eat it until they're at death's door.

Status
Not open for further replies.