Whats up with the cold? Firing it up in Virginia tonight!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
66 in the living room, that's when we fire it up! Who's with me?

Where's the 90 degree weather we were having?

Put in a fire last night. May tonight, too. Just chilly and damp here in the mountains. Clouds right on the ground. Windy. Sure. Why not light up?

I had a fire night before last but just turned on the radiator heaters today. I have been about as entertained by wood burning for this year as I care to be.

BrotherBart said:
I had a fire night before last but just turned on the radiator heaters today. I have been about as entertained by wood burning for this year as I care to be.

Are you feeling OK?

wahoowad said:
BrotherBart said:

Are you feeling OK?

That pellet stove he has stashed away is looking better and better. :lol:

Stove is all vacuumed and nice and clean and shiny. Got a nice plant sitting on top of it, I don't care if it gets down in the 20's .... the stove ain't gettin fired up till next fall !

I've told this story numerous times, years ago, retired airline pilot lived in a cabin next to me, he being on 15 acres, me on 5 acres. The old timer was heard to say, one morning, "Cheezuscripes, had 'ta make fire in JUNE"

That's south PA, near the MD border.

Currently have fire in the Oslo, and WILL be setting up for an overnight burn :)

wahoowad said:
I've had 3 or 4 fires in the past week. I have one going right now. Wood heat is all we are using any more. It got downright chilly outside. I'm with you- when it gets down to 68-66 inside, I do feel it. Some mornings when I came home late, it was getting down into the low 60's inside. Darn right I burned! That's why I cut, split, and seasoned all that wood. ;-)

wahoowad said:

66 is cold? most HVAC systems are designed to keep a building at 68-72 degrees. that's only 2 degrees off!

if i burned at 66, i would be burning year round as my basement is typically in the low to mid 60's all year. heck we were down there last night and it was 63, just threw on a hoodie and blanket.

I too vacuumed and polished the stove last week when it was 90. i refuse to start it up till fall! if i need to run the electric baseboard so be it!

I don't tend to fire up the stove unless it drops to 62-63 degrees . . . at 60 degrees the dinosaur burner fires up so it's an incentive for me to fire up the woodstove when the temps start to get close to that point.

As for when to burn . . . I bought my woodstove to keep warm . . . and I've got wood . . . so I'll fire it up whenever I want . . . whether it's all clean or not . . . for me it's not just a piece of pretty furniture . . . it's an appliance that I use . . . which is why I fired it up last July during that unusually cool, damp period of weather we had last Summer.

We are finally supposed to get into the 50's today and in the 60's Friday and Saturday. We'll let the fire die out today but probably start it again tonight. At least there is no ice out there this morning as it did not get down to freezing last night. That's 2 nights in a row it didn't freeze!

Mine has been going since Sunday. Burning the junk wood. Slow burn just enough to take the chill off and get rid of the dampness on a cold and rainy day. I'll burn any time of year if need be. I wish I could find a way to power the central A/C with my free wood supply.

It was cold here last weekend, fired up Saturday and Sunday. Today it's lovely out, not only cold but rainy! Will be firing when I get home tonight! Jim here, goofing off at work again! ( need to build my post count!) :cheese:

Been letting the stove cool down a bit lately until last weekend then fired 'er back up. Had the propane tank topped off for summer and realized I needed to stop the bleeding! It was rainy and cold with a touch of snow on Saturday. Yesterday I cut up a beech branch that had rotted near the trunk enough to fall from the tree. The rest of the branch was in good shape with the bark peeling and dry wood underneath. I've been throwing that in the stove the last couple of days. It's nice when you can go cut something in the woods during the day and load it in the stove that night and it burns like seasoned wood. There's also nothing quite like the dry heat of a wood stove when it's raining and 30-40 degrees outside!

Uper said:
There's also nothing quite like the dry heat of a wood stove when it's raining and 30-40 degrees outside!

+1

I've been burning the Intrepid since Sunday. I had the Intrepid and Vigilant going last night. I have the Vigilant going right now. I might have a stove going tomorrow at some point, but after that we are in the 70s again.

Just to make everyone feel better- I got 7" of fresh, heavy snow last night, with 2-4" more on the way. 22 °F @ 7am this morning. North of me recieved even more. :shut:

wahoowad said:
BrotherBart said:

Are you feeling OK?

Two dollars worth of electricity and now it is in the mid-seventies with rain coming in. Less work, less mess.

ColdNH said:
wahoowad said:

66 is cold? most HVAC systems are designed to keep a building at 68-72 degrees. that's only 2 degrees off!

if i burned at 66, i would be burning year round as my basement is typically in the low to mid 60's all year. heck we were down there last night and it was 63, just threw on a hoodie and blanket.

I too vacuumed and polished the stove last week when it was 90. i refuse to start it up till fall! if i need to run the electric baseboard so be it!

I'm not far from you here in the S. NH, I decided it was cold enough to close my windows last night, even put on some socks.
(jumping up and down watching the Celtics destroy the Cavs probably kept me warm).

Burned a fire last three days. 5 splits in the AM keeps the house comfortable all day - not much of a fire, but it does the job. Perhaps a psychological boost as much as anything? Nobody has complained about being hot and it only takes a few minutes of "work" to get it set, lit, and the bits of mess swept into a pile to be sucked into the dustbuster. Today wasn't all that cold but with no sun in the forecast we won't get much of any solar gain either. Looks to be warmer next week... maybe this is my last fire. I keep thinking that but then it doesn't happen....

I've had a firing going every night and back to 24-7 the last few days. Have just been bringing in 1 bag of wood at time but finally gave in and filled up the wood inside. This is one crazy May!

Another one here who cleaned out my insert a week ago. Got the mini compressor out and did a thorough job on the blowers and then had the sweeps come and do the chimney yesterday....

It snowed last night and again today.....Even though I do miss my fires I couldn't bring myself to build a fire and mess up all the clean....Turned on the baseboard heat instead and let my wood continue to season until the fall.

This is why I wait until July or August to clean the stove.

[quote author="BeGreen" date="1273748946"]This is why I wait until July or August to clean the stove.[/quot

ditto on that BeGreen. I've been burnin' the chunky, punky, and funky stuff, the cedar, the pine, the old, the lightweight, you get the drill.

As I quoted earlier in this thread.....my buddy Bob sayin' 'had ta make fire in June' always rings in my head.

Perfect woodfire weather, cool, damp, dreary, one fire, one match, and that's as good as it gets :)

im an hour south of ya wad , and have been burning at least at night most of the week, wife and i have both had a danged cold all week as well so trying to keep the house warm to help sweating it out of us. mostly runnig the PAH on low with the stat set for on/off burning about 25 lbs a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.