When does fan kick in on HI500?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garth_2022

Apr 6, 2022
new york
Got the Regency Hi500 with fan installed in April, so I never go to use it until now. Followed direction to get my first fire, no issues. I now have it filled up and the temp is hovering at 1000 degrees for half an hour yet the fan has not kicked in yet. It is set to auto. So I turned it on manual for about 15 minutes just to make sure it is working. Is there a length of time the temp has to be at a certain temp before it kicks in? What temp is too high in my wood burning insert?

There is a thermodisk in the blower wiring that needs to be in contact with the bottom of the firebox. If it isn’t, it will not reach the temperature required for it to close & actuate the blower. If it IS in contact, it may have failed, or may be stuck. You can test it by removing the disk & heating it with a lighter. If it works, you will hear it close. It kinda makes a little metallic “tink.” If it DOES actuate, put it back in place & try it again. It just may have needed a little coaxing…

There is a thermodisk in the blower wiring that needs to be in contact with the bottom of the firebox. If it isn’t, it will not reach the temperature required for it to close & actuate the blower. If it IS in contact, it may have failed., or may be stuck. You can test it by removing the disk & heating it with a lighter. If it works, you will hear it close. It kinda makes a little metallic “tink.” If it DOES actuate, put it back in place & try it again. It just may have needed a little coaxing…
Thanks, I'll try that. I did more searching and other people had the problem, but it was due to too much ash around the sensor, but of course being the first burn, there was no ash yet.

The catalyst temperature is not the same as the stove body temperature. It takes time for the mass of the insert to heat up from a cold start. Did the blower come on eventually?

Reactions: garth_2022
The catalyst temperature is not the same as the stove body temperature. It takes time for the mass of the insert to heat up from a cold start. Did the blower come on eventually?
After I put it on manual for a while then turned it to auto, it continued to run, so I think begreen nailed it. It takes a while for it to heat up. It's not the air temp in the insert. Thank you.

Reactions: begreen
I positioned the fire brick with a slight crack directly in front of the thermo disc to help start it. I've heard others say they put a flame on the disc too to engage it.