When does it start to get too warm while burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I can usually get my cold natured living room to 73 degrees in about 1.5 hours no matter what the outside temp, 75 after a little while longer. I'm finding 75 is all I can take - I'm already down to shorts and t-shirt. I keep a window cracked, and have a floor fan blowing cold air into the room, and the room will sit at 75. Sometimes it will climb to 78 and I have to go open the window and blow the fan even more. Whew! Not complaining - just curious. It does almost feel too warm at times - light sweat starts popping out.

Better than cold thats for darn sure.

I worked for a utility company for 15 years. We were to tell our customers recommended room temps in consideration of conservation of economic and environmental resources - 68F in the winter, 78F in the summer. They asked me this question when I took the state DOE exam and wouldn't you know it. I got it right.

Wahoo, are you a "Big Boy"?

not yet, Sandor, but getting there.

wahoowad said:
I can usually get my cold natured living room to 73 degrees in about 1.5 hours no matter what the outside temp, 75 after a little while longer. I'm finding 75 is all I can take - I'm already down to shorts and t-shirt. I keep a window cracked, and have a floor fan blowing cold air into the room, and the room will sit at 75. Sometimes it will climb to 78 and I have to go open the window and blow the fan even more. Whew! Not complaining - just curious. It does almost feel too warm at times - light sweat starts popping out.

Better than cold thats for darn sure.

It sounds like you are going for the gold :) One can burn smaller fires for shorter lengths of time....

lol-
Yeah, certain stoves and fuels are hard to burn when its "warmish" out....they need a certain rate just to stay burning, and the amount of heat they give off might be more than ya need. Can you say sweater?

I dont burn much if its out of the teen's. Which it usually isnt. This dry cold seems alot warmer then it is. You can ALMOST where short sleavs in the 20's.

I've been using my stove every day for the last few weeks. Even if it's just to take the chill off of the room. With as much as we've all paid for these stoves recently, I would say light it up and throw on some shorts.

I agree, the_guad. If it gets too hot I can change into my male thong and a tank top :)

I will usually light up the stove as needed to take the chill off the room. But the fire does loose much of it's ambiance when the sun is shining and the trees have plenty 'o green leaves...but it just so happens the temp is 30F!

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.