When to close bypass gate for CAT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Emu456

Quick question about when to close the bypass on stove. I have a Federal Airtight that came with the house I bought last year. I used the stove all of last year with no problems at all. My question is from what I read online that I should wait till the temp of the Cat reaches 500 degrees before closing the bypass in order for the Cat to burn properly. However, the instruction booklet ( which I just found) says to light fire and once "the fire is going" to close the bypass and then states the CAT will begin to work as intended once it reaches 500 degrees. Which way is correct? Or are they both correct? Thank you.

Those instructions seem odd to me since the whole concept of the Cat is it burns the smoke once it reaches the critical ignition temperature and not before. If it's not burning smoke then it clogs quicker.

It's not my place to disagree with the manufacturer's instructions but I agree there is a disconnect with conventional wisdom.

Maybe by “the fire is going” they mean wait until flue gasses hit 500 degrees. I often engage the cat when either flue temps or cat temps exceed 500.

Here is a quote from BKVP who is pretty darn qualified to answer this question:
(it was in this thread https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/prolonging-catalyst-lifespan.170785/page-2#post-2292274)

screenshot_961.jpg

Reactions: rashomon
Ok, makes sense. I have been waiting for the temp to reach 500 before engaging the CAT, but just noticed the difference in the instructions for the stove which I just found. Just double checking the correct way to start the CAT. Thanks everyone!