When You Just Go "You Dumb Sh*t" ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Flash back.... fan died on the PE, awaiting on a new one from PE (special order, fan discontinued a few years ago <PE installed 10 years ago> Tom Oyen at the Chimney sweep is a saint!! PE will make me a fan & motor, I just have to be patient :mad:)

Any ways... no fan IN the insert, running a small fan across the front of the extended glass front to max heat output. And my newly learned ceiling fan info!

I can't see the temp coming up over 250F on the face front thermo, no matter what I do. Trust me, seasoned firewood ( I know my game at this stage ;)) and I'm looking at the PE doing it's after burn thing, with the gates of hell up top, and I'm like, WTH??? House is warm:rolleyes:, dogs are cozy, etc.

Why won't the 4 year old Rutland thermo on the upper right front of the insert read like I think it should???? looks correct to me in the firebox??? ;?

Duh, pull out back up (at this stage of the game I got back up everything ;lol) thermo (a Vulcan), and viola !!! I'm cruisng where I should be ;em

The moral of this story .... don't be a dumb sh*t, and not think :p

Murphy & Sam are very happy !

Got a pic of the Rutland thermo? Those big ones are notorious for malfunctioning; Needle comes loose for one thing.

I check my therm every year and during the year. I dont want it to read 600 and the stove is 800.

Got a pic of the Rutland thermo? Those big ones are notorious for malfunctioning; Needle comes loose for one thing.

It's already in the garbage can, awaiting Mondays pick up, sorry !

It's already in the garbage can, awaiting Mondays pick up, sorry !
Back in the day, that magnet would have stuck to the galvanized trash can and the Rutland would have haunted you forever! ;)

Reactions: Knots and Dix
Back in the day, that magnet would have stuck to the galvanized trash can and the Rutland would have haunted you forever! ;)

You, Sir, are seriously dating yourself .

And I know exactly what you are talking about ;)

Speaking of thermos I really should replace mine. Amazon time?

Reactions: Dix
Walmart.com ..... trust me.

You, Sir, are seriously dating yourself .
And I know exactly what you are talking about ;)
The only galvanized left now is our ash buckets. :)
Speaking of thermos I really should replace mine. Amazon time?
You should be able to find a Condar in town...

Reactions: jatoxico
We still have galvanized trash cans. Rats eat right through plastic cans.

We still have galvanized trash cans. Rats eat right through plastic cans.

begreen … I just learned that you have a BIG vole unique to the PNW: Townsend's vole.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9264895-I-need-rodent-help-(Emmett-s-specialty)

Here's info on the vole: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townsend's_vole.

I'm Cooper on there and think it's a vole. Someone else think's it's an immature muskrat.

Voles here COMPLETELY destroyed my lawn after two winters. The first wasn't so bad. A few years later, the second time, the lawn was pretty much gone!

Probably will go Condar but I do like the 180 degree sweep of the Rutland, makes for better reading in the insert vent. Someday someone will make one specifically for inserts that can more easily be read.

What's with all the thermometer related posts lately? My brother in law has a thermo that says the stove is at 300º when it's stone cold hasn't had a fire in it for months. It's nice to look at it at a glance and know "oh, it's hot" or "hey, its about dead, time to reload". Otherwise I think they're just making up the numbers as they go.

What's with all the thermometer related posts lately? My brother in law has a thermo that says the stove is at 300º when it's stone cold hasn't had a fire in it for months. It's nice to look at it at a glance and know "oh, it's hot" or "hey, its about dead, time to reload". Otherwise I think they're just making up the numbers as they go.

Mine has always been in rough agreement with my IR thermo but yeah it's a relative thing and I don't care if I'm 50 deg off.

begreen … I just learned that you have a BIG vole unique to the PNW: Townsend's vole.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9264895-I-need-rodent-help-(Emmett-s-specialty)

Here's info on the vole: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townsend's_vole.

I'm Cooper on there and think it's a vole. Someone else think's it's an immature muskrat.

Voles here COMPLETELY destroyed my lawn after two winters. The first wasn't so bad. A few years later, the second time, the lawn was pretty much gone!

J, I will say that the Rutland was good for 2 years. And it cost me, like, $20 :cool:

J, I will say that the Rutland was good for 2 years. And it cost me, like, $20 :cool:
I think mine was a freebie that came with the purchase. That was back in 11'. Far as I know it's still "accurate". I'd check but the batteries in the IR are dead. So much for fancy tech.

… I'd check but the batteries in the IR are dead …

Funny timing. I just decided last night to check my insert with the freebie IR thermometer I received from Thermoworks when I bought a new BBQ smoker thermometer. Batteries were dead since it has been several years. :)

Update !!!

Fan shipped from Tom yesterday !!!

2 day shipping from WA to Long Island, we'll see :)

Going to be 50F the next 2 days :p

Reactions: Woody Stover
It's here !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: kaymac
Reactions: crater22 and Dix
Seems PE made one for me. Fan discontinued !

Reactions: Woody Stover
Seems PE made one for me. Fan discontinued !
What? Before installing take lots of pictures of it and try to get any identifying labels, in particular for the motor. Maybe see if you can order a spare motor directly now from Grainger, McMaster, etc..

Last edited: