Where can I get an AMERICAN MADE log jack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KarlP said:
I read a lot of bias into the initial post. I wouldn't have been hesitant to respond to -
"I like to support American manufacturing jobs. Which log jacks made here?"
or
"I want a really good log jack. Which ones should I look at?"

I personally like to support American manufacturing jobs and good tools myself!

The OP may have meant nothing by what he said. If so I apologize. I'll admit my reaction was probably colored because of some of the other forums I hang out on. I drive a Toyota made by UAW labor in the USA and get a lot of grief about being unamerican for buying an 'import' from xenophobic folks driving Dodge Rams (often made in Mexico by a German or Italian company with no more 'domestic content' than my Toyota).

However, several of the ranting posters in this thread have demonstrated exactly what I meant. American's can make crap and American's can make great quality goods. I've bought both. Chinese can make crap and Chinese can make great quality goods. Again, I've bought both.

Milwaukee, Powermatic, Porter Cable, Stihl, Timken, IBM, Dell, Lenovo, Sony, Samsung, Motorola, Honda, etc, etc, etc all sell fine quality goods made in China.
Harbor Freight quality control means picking through four 'identical' items on the shelf till you find one that is forged straight & drilled center.

Quality comes down to management, specifications, quality control, and price point. If you want to buy a $25 log jack... someone in China can make one for $5, someone can stamp a brand on it for $5, ship it to the store for $5, and the store can mark it up $10 and sell it to you. If you want to buy a $120 log jack, someone in the USA OR China could produce a REALLY good one for $100. Much of the management in this country attended American business schools and has decided to 'maximize profits' and cheapened stuff to the point it is crap. That means that many goods won't be made in this country at all anymore and to reduce costs even further they accept crap for tolerances and quality control out of the factories in China. I don't blame the Chinese people for making exactly what our business leaders ask them to make.

I'm also a diehard Toyota guy and also married to a Chinese woman so I know how annoying redneck or racist comments can be but I don't see that in the OPs post. Before you accuse or insinuate that someone is racist make sure that you know exactly what racism is. Here's the Merriam-Webster definition.

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

All of the respectable Dictionaries have similar definitions. If the OP had said that he won't buy Chinese products because their racial makeup prevents them from having the capacity to make quality goods, that would have been racist. You may find some of the posts here objectionable but I really don't think there's been any racist comments.

To get back on topic, I recently ordered a log jack from Log-Rite. I did quite a bit of research looking for a quality tool and Log-Rite seems to be a well respected brand.

NoPaint said:
Tractor Supply has a log jack in but it doesn't say where its made and the box looks awfully Chinese. So I am not buying the TSC log jack. Where can I get a good AMERICAN MADE log jack?

Take a picture of one.
Swing by a local welding shop. Give them the picture.
Tell them you want a "good American made log jack"
Come back in a few days. Have some $$ cash money in your pocket. Take it home & paint it.
in the mean time:
Get a good 2" diameter sapling, Ash, hickory good too. Whittle a handle

carve "Made In The USA" on the handle. ;)

Supports local small businesses, good for local economy & well made so it will last forever, & if ever any issues, you
know who to take it to for repairs or modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.