Where do you store your Wood Pellets for the summer? What is the temp and humidity?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I want to make sure that the pellets are stored in a good place. Mine are in the walk out basement and walk out garage. The temp is cool and not much humidity. I did not measure the temp and humidity. Does anyone know what the Ideal Temperature and Relative Humidity for Wood Pellet Storage is??

Pic of my storage area. Please post pics of your storage area.

Attachments

• LowesDelivery03082011-5sc.jpg
    LowesDelivery03082011-5sc.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 394
  • LowesDelivery03082011-6sc.jpg
    LowesDelivery03082011-6sc.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 390
nice try don i will leave the back door open.also nobody is home between the hours of 9 to 5. but i lock up the bunker put out the moat so you wont have a chance at stealing my stash of pellets .

As long as they are Inside (under cover), they will be fine. Some even keep them outside with good luck. I have kept them in the basement and garage. Only actual water contact should effect the burn quality. Avoid water. Relative Humidity should not be a problem.

Hello

Nice stash smilejamaica. Too bad, I do not have room for anymore!! LOL

Well I know that 40% or less Relative Humidity fells very dry to human skin. That maybe a bit extreme for pellet storage.

However if there is too much humidity, mold or dampness there may be an issue. I am Just not sure? So I would appreciate anyone with experience on this.

smwilliamson said:
Storage? You mean you have some left over?

Hi Scott

Pellet prices started moving up in the last month or so from $3.74 per bag up to $4.99 per bag. So like other people, I picked up some for next year at $4.18 per bag. So far I saved over $100.00. Did you?

smilejamaica said:
nice try don i will leave the back door open.also nobody is home between the hours of 9 to 5. but i lock up the bunker put out the moat so you wont have a chance at stealing my stash of pellets .

Don't forget the moat MONSTERS ;-) .

Status
Not open for further replies.