Where is your prep area? (bucking, splitting etc)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some of you have the most amazing wood piles I have ever seen...you sorta get a view of my splitting area here....the bucking happens in the woods

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Just moved into a new house and the previous owner already built a fenced area in the front yard. I didnt think i would like it, but since the stove is upstairs it works out awesome. I think I can get about 7 cords in there and the will place another 10 cords around the property. I will post some pics when my area looks somewhat respectable, but holy cow you guys have some areas to drool over!!!

Dexter can you share how you get your rounds so unified in length. PM would be fine. Great looking stacks!

I have a stick that 18" in length. I use a paint stick or marker and mark every 18". Then make sure to have a sharp chain and let the the saw do the work.

The entire "Story" of my last Log Load is in my Signature (Evolution of a wood stack).

Takes time and patience.

Dang those last two are perfect! I'd hate to see y'all's houses. Bet they are tip top. Great thread!!!! Keep it up!

See link in my Signature for the full story (Evolution)
But I do most work by my barn, then rotate up to the house stacks, behind the garage.

Dex, I NEVER tire of looking at your set up and stacks...one of the Gold Stds on this forum.

Reactions: CHeath
Where do you guys prep at?
Usually we cut and split it right at the site.of cutting (my buddy and I do tree removal). That way, its pretty much ready to stack when you bring it home. But if we're in a hurry to get the site cleaned up, we'll load it up and bring it home. It then gets processed ASAP on the one corner of my backyard. I really like doing it at the jobsite, keeps the clutter to a minimum in my backyard.....

Side yard, next to the garage. Due to a hump from the septic system and the lay of the land you can only see a bit of my firewood from the road . . . and I try to keep things relatively neat.

I usually bring home rounds or halves and quarters of rounds if its a big one. I try to split them right off the truck in the driveway and then haul to the back yard and stack.
0601111205.jpg

0601111405.jpgGot a little help from Mrs.Flatbedford that day.;)

The stack pretty much is the back yard of my .25 acre.
DSC07076.JPG

See link in my Signature for the full story (Evolution)

But I do most work by my barn, then rotate up to the house stacks, behind the garage.
Wow!
Dexter, I'm glad you've got a handle on your Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, because you are one step away from individually shrink wrapping all your firewood splits. :p

Maybe I better keep my mouth shut, I don't want to be giving you any ideas? ::P

Rear entrance of my 2 acre lot.

Attachments

• Locust cord.jpg
    Locust cord.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.