where to buy stove ash vacuum machines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2008
Does Homepepot or Lowes carry vacuum machines that can clean ash in wood stove?

I was in the local HD today looking at the fireplace accessories and didn't see any.

I think they are mostly on-line and there are good Internet sources. Try a Google search for "Loveless Ash Vac". As far as I know they're the best (and priced accordingly). A lot of price difference between different sellers.

Thanks for the web link.
But can those vacuums carried by HD or Lowes be used for stove cleaning?
Maybe they will not perform as good as those carried by the online reseller, but how bad can they be?

Just curious.

I just noticed at the hardware store the other day that you can buy special heavy duty , double, bags for shop vacs, for use on drywall dust and stove ash. Not cheap, at $15-20 for two bags (depending on size), but still a lot cheaper than buying a proper ash vac, if you only need it occasionally.

The specialized ash vacs have a fireproof filter bag. Although they still caution against picking up a hot coal, there is no problem if you do so (at least that's been my experience, I have done it many times).

If you use a regular vac (which I assume is what you are finding at HD or Lowes) it is very important that there are no hot ashes or coals... potentially a fire hazard. I think many people use these vacs successfully but ONLY on a cold stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.