Where to store gasoline cans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I imagine outside would be best but I've kept a couple of gas cans (plastic) inside the garage for years.
I have no shed.
Ideas?

Anywhere dry and protected and away from open flames. The number one reason stuff comes in for repair at our place is because folks don't take care of their gas and keep it free of water - or their gas is just old so machines don't run correctly.

I keep about 10 gals of gas around at all times. I keep a couple of gallons in the garage (1 chainsaw mix and 1 straight) and the rest in the shed. Use the shed just in case something happens I don't lose the house. I take the chance with the small amount of fuel in the garage for convenience sake not that it is safe. In reality I should keep it all in the shed.

Another reason to build a shed, I guess.
Perhaps a combo wood/equipment?
Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

I always keep my gas cans in the garage. Maybe I'm funny that way, but I never saw a problem with an approved, closed container of gas in the garage. Especially when it's kept company by the full fuel tanks on the car/truck, lawn tractor, splitter, chain saws, motorcycles and a couple of extra propane cylinders for the camper and grill.

I keep it in the garage, but there are a couple of things that I do:

1) I store it where the sun will never touch it. Heat and sunlight are bad.
2) I use plastic containers, and I always squeeze the sides in just a bit when I tighten the lid. That way, there's room for a little expansion if the temps get warmer.
3) I always keep it tightly sealed. Not only are fumes dangerous, but a loose cap will cause it to 'breathe' as the temperature changes, and it will gradually accumulate water vapor.

I don't know if there's a hard scientific basis for any of this, but that's what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.