Which gaskets on my Jotul F500 V2 need replacing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vatmark

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2017
Nebo NC
I think the side door definitely needs new gasket but what are everyones thoughts on the ash pan door and front door? Also does anyone know what size gasket these take and is gasket cement needed for this application?

IMG_5646.jpg IMG_5647.jpg IMG_5652.jpg IMG_5651.jpg IMG_5650.jpg IMG_5648.jpg

If you still have compression when closing the ash door and front door, then they're ok. Never hurts to change them if you don't think they are sealing properly. Oslo's changed to 3/8" gasket for their doors, altho initially I think their ash door was 1/4". 3/8" gasket will work fine, for cement, good old rutland stove gasket cement, or any brand gasket cement should do it.

I really prefer high temp silicone over gasket cement honestly

Reactions: stovelark
bholler- so do I- Quadrafire always used high temp red on their original door gaskets, others prob do as well.

I really prefer high temp silicone over gasket cement honestly
So I see JB Weld has a high temp silicone. Is that what I would use?

Also when I take off the gasket that is there already will there be stuff I have to scrape out of there before putting in new gasket with the silicone?

I just realized my avatar says burning hunk. Is there a way to change that? My husband is a hunk but I am the one dealing with the stove. :)

So I see JB Weld has a high temp silicone. Is that what I would use?

Also when I take off the gasket that is there already will there be stuff I have to scrape out of there before putting in new gasket with the silicone?

I just realized my avatar says burning hunk. Is there a way to change that? My husband is a hunk but I am the one dealing with the stove. :)
Any high temp silicone is fine. And yes you need to clean out all of the old adhesive before putting new in

bholler- so do I- Quadrafire always used high temp red on their original door gaskets, others prob do as well.
I thought I saw black RTV on a Jotul door gasket the last time I was in a Jotul shop.

Hi BG, you did, Jotul uses the black furnace cement for gaskets, but I do prefer the red silicone, just think its easier to control and it works well. Take care.