Which model Blaze King is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MAD MARK

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
Found a local Blaze King for sale...never happens might jump on it. Just trying to get some info on it. It's an older couple that isn't too suave on giving information.

Screenshot_20191013-153901_Facebook.jpgreceived_519218591989238.jpeg

At first it looks like a Princess, but the flue looks like 8" so I am guessing a King, KE1107, parlor model.

Last edited:
The sticker is for the Princess AND King. If it has a 6" flue, it's a Princess, 8" is King.

2007 is an old stove, but if it's in good shape, it will be a great stove. If it's a King, consider whether an 8" flue will work out for you.

If everything is in good condition, you may still want new gaskets and maybe a new cat.

I think the pictured stove is a Princess, but I am no expert. If those are 8"x12" cinder blocks and double wall pipe, it does kinda look like an 8" flue (which would make it a King).

Last edited:
They finally confirmed the size of 8".

Was pretty excited to be able to get a princess, albeit a 2007 model, for $400.

Looks like King I got rid of Last Spring. Sold for $400 with 3 year old Cat and Extra gasket and extra glass (old etched one). Great Wood Stove.

They finally confirmed the size of 8".

Was pretty excited to be able to get a princess, albeit a 2007 model, for $400.
If 8" it's a King, not a Princess.

Reactions: moresnow
A $400 catalytic King in good shape? Man, sign me up. Those things burn for days. But banish all thoughts of getting it to to limp along on a 6" flue, they really need a proper 8" breathing tube. (Search the forum for people who have hated their Kings over the years, and you'll see that just about all of them are on 6" flues via a reducer.)

It’s almost worth a try on 6”. There are also those who love it.

If 8" it's a King, not a Princess.
Yea I know. That's why i said "Was".
I am no longer excited knowing it's a King.

I've read both ways on 6", some worked and some didnt at all. I am only dealing with ~13' of chimney so it's the NC30 again this year.

Yea I know. That's why i said "Was".
I am no longer excited knowing it's a King.

I've read both ways on 6", some worked and some didnt at all. I am only dealing with ~13' of chimney so it's the NC30 again this year.

The princess only required 12’ when I bought mine in 2012. That’s all I have and I am happy with it.

Mine runs great on a 7”. It is 25’ though.

I don't understand why it requires 8" flue. Consider the outside air kite is only 3 inch, so at Max burn it only draw 3". 6" flue is more than enough for it. Since it run at very low flue temperature, smaller flue will retain the heat better and pull harder. Only issue I possibly see is at reloading smoke spillage.

I don't understand why it requires 8" flue. Consider the outside air kite is only 3 inch, so at Max burn it only draw 3". 6" flue is more than enough for it. Since it run at very low flue temperature, smaller flue will retain the heat better and pull harder. Only issue I possibly see is at reloading smoke spillage.
I am pretty sure the engineers at blaze king chose 8" for a reason. The smaller flue will draw more velocity but not as much volume. And we know from the many people who have tried it that it just doesn't work most of the time.

It’s not just the huge king firebox size either as there are other larger stoves that use 6”. Heck, even the huge bk apex furnace only used a 7” chimney.

I believe that if bk could have made a 6” flue work on the king that they would have.

Reactions: bholler
It’s not just the huge king firebox size either as there are other larger stoves that use 6”. Heck, even the huge bk apex furnace only used a 7” chimney.

I believe that if bk could have made a 6” flue work on the king that they would have.
They tried pretty hard to get it to work it would definitely help them sell more

The difference between a 6" and 8" flue is 28 and 50 square inches or almost twice the size. If you're building a stove for a BTU target you're not going to compromise that target just to meet a 6" flue size constraint. From a marketing perspective this stove is built for the population of existing 8" flues and/or a BTU target for new installs.

The difference between a 6" and 8" flue is 28 and 50 square inches or almost twice the size. If you're building a stove for a BTU target you're not going to compromise that target just to meet a 6" flue size constraint. From a marketing perspective this stove is built for the population of existing 8" flues and/or a BTU target for new installs.
From a marketing standpoint a 6" flue is much better which is why they tried to get the king down to 6". 8" is very limiting. You simply cannot fit an insulated 8" liner in most masonry chimneys even after removing the old clay liners

It's not a Btu issue either. Lots of 6” flue appliances make more btu than the king.

I’m thinking it has more to do with satisfactory draft strength at low settings with relatively low flue temperatures due to the high efficiency.

draft strength is only dependent on chimney height and temperature different.

the size of pipe will help with start up and reloading spillage due to flow restriction.

buck 91 with same size fire box require 8" as well.

My best guess is that they don't want to deal with customer complain about smoky reloads or slow start up.

draft strength is only dependent on chimney height and temperature different.

Really? Perhaps the term draft "strength" is confusing. We know that any given vacuum pressure inside a pipe creates a stronger pull on a larger flue. This is like pressure in a hydraulic cylinder. Larger piston, same pressure, means more force.

Also, that same draft pressure, will create more flow in a larger flue.

There are a handful of old model stoves and a couple of modern designs out there that still use 8" flues. For a variety of reasons including that some were originally designed to replace 8" smoke dragon stoves.

Last edited:
Really? Perhaps the term draft "strength" is confusing. We know that any given vacuum pressure inside a pipe creates a stronger pull on a larger flue. This is like pressure in a hydraulic cylinder. Larger piston, same pressure, means more force.

Also, that same draft pressure, will create more flow in a larger flue.

There are a handful of old model stoves and a couple of modern designs out there that still use 8" flues. For a variety of reasons including that some were originally designed to replace 8" smoke dragon stoves.
Technically he is right the size of the flue does not change the pressure just the volume and velocity. But in reality the vacuum in a flue will be different depending upon its size for a given stove because that stove will restrict volume going in which will change that vacuum. But if there were two open flues one 6" one 8" right next to each other identical other than diameter the pressure would be identical.

Technically he is right the size of the flue does not change the pressure just the volume and velocity.

None of those words are "strength" which is what made this confusing. Pressure is not force until it is applied to an area and there exists more area in an 8" flue than a 6" flue. I agree that the pressure in the flue is not dependent on diameter of the flue.

None of those words are "strength" which is what made this confusing. Pressure is not force until it is applied to an area and there exists more area in an 8" flue than a 6" flue. I agree that the pressure in the flue is not dependent on diameter of the flue.
Like I said technically he is right. In practice not so much

Thanks to Mark, I end up with the stove. Drove 500 miles round trip for it.

There are few minor things wrong with it but overall great buy.

1. Bended bypass retainer, heat treat and hammer it back to shape
2. Door latch jammed, broke when trying to adjust it. Made an new one from stainless 3/8-16
3. Combusted looked intact but is used up. Put in new steel combustor
4. All new gaskets, bypass/door.

It appears that the thermostat on the older blaze king doesn't have the 3/8 drilled hole on the flap? Why does the newer one have them? Less likely to stall?

My 2 year old ideal steel is sitting in the back, probably going to give it to the in law.

Attachments

• IMG_20191110_052345.jpg
    IMG_20191110_052345.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20191110_052320.jpg
    IMG_20191110_052320.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20191110_052106.jpg
    IMG_20191110_052106.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20191110_052040.jpg
    IMG_20191110_052040.jpg