which stove should i get

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejevans22

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
south east pa
i am debating on getting either a Napoleon 1400 or a Avalon Rainier. which do you guys think would be best. i have a 1700sq house, two story, 75 years old

If I had to choose beteewn the two I think I'd go for the Ranier. I like the better built baffle system in the Ranier where they use fire bricks and stainless steel verses the cheap breakable ceramic boards in the Napoleon.

Both stoves may be a tad too small for a 75 year old 1700 sq ft home in PA. You may want to look at the next size up.

well the next size up would be the olympic and it is to big for my space. clearance is kind of an issue

There are some bigger stoves that work in tight spaces. Take a look at the Quadrafire line or PE Summit stoves for tight clearances in a 3 cu ft stove.

Why not describe the type of space your working with (clearances etc), along with a photo or two so we can help make suggestions

ejevans22 said:
it is to big for my space.

I doubt that. And the Spokane is the next size up.

BrowningBAR said:
ejevans22 said:
it is to big for my space.

I doubt that. And the Spokane is the next size up.

agreed, we install the olympic in 1500sqft if its not to well insulated.

the spokane isn't as good of a unit as either the raineer or the olympic due to door seal/ imo, but the price is better

Avalons are great units

this is a pic of my living rm were i want to put the stove. i want to put the stove were the tall lamp is.

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-03-24 at 10.42.jpg
    Photo on 2010-03-24 at 10.42.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 337
Given the tight clearances to furniture and windows, this would be my governing factor. Of the two stoves listed, the Napoleon has closer corner clearances when using double-wall connector pipe.

I just reread your other thread. Are you still going to put in an Esse in the kitchen? If so, a 2 cu ft stove should be fine as an area heater.

no im not going to put an esse in the kitchen. not sure why that one person suggested that.
the furniture we have will be moved or replaced to make better space for the stove. i was thinking that if i went with the avalon rainier i could build a wall surround with small metal studs to give air space between the wall surround and the excisting drywall. on top of the studs i would put cement board than ceramic tile. from what im told with will make the clearence to the corner of the stove much better.
what do ya think?
i also don't understand why the double wall piping dictates the clearance from the corner of the "stove" to the combustable's

Status
Not open for further replies.