While grabbing wood for the stove today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I came across 3 pieces of oak. I must be hitting a small patch of it in the pile. I set it aside. I hope I find some more so I can have a full load of it when we hit the cold weather tonight.

Matt

Just ran into some myself just a couple min's ago! woot Woooo Should help a little tonight.........

I found 2 more good sized splits (half-nighters... won't make it all the way through :lol: ) I'll have a full firebox tonight. Now I need to work to finish burning those coals down. I must have choked it down too much last night because I had the firebox about 1/3 full of coals this morning.

I'll have to worry about critical mass though. A possible -14 with 25 ft of flue is gonna set them off like a fire cracker.

Matt

Worry not Matt. There will still be more cold very soon.

Matt, I'm doing the opposite. I'm finding some popular (I love that spelling :roll: ), and putting it off to the side for the warmer weather.
I find a few pieces of pine in the stacks every once in a while too. Same for that.
Wow Dennis, just FULL of good news, aren'tcha?! Best to be prepared, I suppose.
The cold was expected, but I didn't think it would get THIS cold.

Dave, I do try to please! Yes, more cold coming; more snow coming. But then in less than 2 months the spring birds will be coming too.

I found an oak split by mistake once. I'm pretty sure the other 99.9% is in the right stacks. I blamed it on the kids.

I hit a vein of black locust that should last about a week if I just add 2 spits at a time in the evenings. After that its back to nothing but the 3 year old seasoned red oak :cheese:

JoeyD said:
I hit a vein of black locust that should last about a week if I just add 2 spits at a time in the evenings. After that it back to nothing but the 3 year old seasoned red oak :cheese:

now you're just bragging!
just kidding, I also have a virtually unlimited supply of chestnut oak... I feel bad for those who have to scrounge so much or don't have as much access to hardwood.

I'm glad I do not have the problem of seperating my wood by species. I am trying to get as much piled up as I can for the future and I am trying to get the high quality stuff like Doug fir, cherry, maple, locust, plum, pear, apple, sweet gum. I guess where we live it does not get below the mid teens so I burn all the wood all together. If I know it will be cold over night or for a few days I'll pull out some that I know burns longer. Then again we do not have oak as a rule of thumb...

Status
Not open for further replies.