White Ash evaulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Anything can cause bark loss. Everyone blames anything ash related on the EAB. I took a chainsaw and dissected some peices and found no sign of EAB. Furthermore the state forestry resources are telling me it is not yet in my area.

Our ash trees here started dying from EAB long before the state experts acknowledged it was here in our area.

We went from this to this in a few short years.

DSCF0257.JPG ash gone.jpg

Last edited:
Were they ash or elms
Both. probably 90% ash. we have a few elms left but they are dying. We still have cottonwood, sycamore, walnut, basswood, honeylocust, black cherry, osage orange, mulberry, willow and a lone sugar maple. But those ash and elm trees😢. Looks so barren. Trying to replant some new trees, different varieties. This EAB and dutch elm devastation is good case for planting diversity of species.

Last edited:
I've been taking down ash tree's myself, def eab but regardless of what killed them be aware that once the tree is dead, there are multiple hazards. Top limbs can and will break free, very easily, and more frequently the longer the tree has been dead.
The sap wood to the heart wood on ashes tend to split away from themselves very easily, this is the big risk while trying to cut a tradition wedge and backside cut, what I do is take a heavy duty 3" ratchet strap and place it about 5-6ft above where I'm going to cut a wedge into the tree, this helps prevent the trunk from blowing apart and barber chairing as you cut into the sap wood.
Just know thats a weak spot, I fell a white ash last weekend and the bottom 10ft even with the ratchet strap was cracked, as I cut logs out of the trunk they would just split in half once hitting the ground.