White Oak Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scroungerjeff

Burning Hunk
Feb 4, 2012
S Jersey
1st Thread I started and I hope it goes well. Have a friend that owns a campground and let me cut some white oak and northern red oak in an area he wants to bulid a storage barn. My Dolmar saw was certainly up for the cutting and my truck carried 3 loads of mostly white oak and some red oak about 7 miles back home. Sure hope the photo looks okay. Took it with my phone.

Attachments

• w oak score.jpg
    w oak score.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Pics & great firewood! No better way to start a thread in the "shed" nice job. A C

Pics & great firewood! No better way to start a thread in the "shed" nice job. A C
Thanks. I have since split most of that oak and that vanilla smell from fresh cut white oak is unforgetable. Makes me think of good oak cask aged whisky. Can't wait to burn it during a cold spell winter after next.

Reactions: Thistle
Here is where some of that oak went. The fence is 6 feet high and the pile is about 23 feet long. I am almost done and I estimate about 1 and a half cords of mostly white oak, northern red oak, southern red oak and some mixed maple, locust and cherry. This should help me get through some cold nights in the winter of 2013-14.

Attachments

• long wood pile.jpg
    long wood pile.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 153
Premium fire wood.
1/2 a cord per trip. I bet the truck knew it had a load :)
Sure makes the fence look good :)

Here is where some of that oak went. The fence is 6 feet high and the pile is about 23 feet long. I am almost done and I estimate about 1 and a half cords of mostly white oak, northern red oak, southern red oak and some mixed maple, locust and cherry.
Love the White! :cool: Southern Red...huh. I see that you're on the edge of its natural range, as we are. Don't think I've seen one here yet... I've got a couple cords of White right now, and I'm going after a blow-down as soon as I get some space cleared out in the processing area. There's a lot around here but they don't die or blow down very often...

Love the White! :cool: Southern Red...huh. I see that you're on the edge of its natural range, as we are. Don't think I've seen one here yet... I've got a couple cords of White right now, and I'm going after a blow-down as soon as I get some space cleared out in the processing area. There's a lot around here but they don't die or blow down very often...
The white is premium for sure. We have an even mix of southern red and northern red. I am from the northern end of the state and we had a lot of northern red and black oak- plus we had shagbark hickory up there. Down here is tons of southern and willow oak, especially in wetter soils- the hickory is mockernut and not that great. The hurricane Irene provided me with some nice southern red last fall. I hope to get one more good score (1 cord) before taking a break, but broke my hand playing baseball two weeks ago, so will have to wait a bit.

Premium fire wood.
1/2 a cord per trip. I bet the truck knew it had a load :)
Sure makes the fence look good :)
It sure did! The P/U has an 8 foot bed and if I am not going far on quiet backroads, I load it until it almost bottoms out. It doesn't owe me a thing. No frills truck, but solid and it's 4WD too for those trips to the Pine Barrens.

Looks real nice. This year was the first time in all my years of cutting wood that I cut White Oak and I really like the smell of it. I will be burning it 2014-2015 or 15-16. That is if the Good Lord leaves me here and the creek don't rise.

Reactions: ScotO and tfdchief
Jeff, for your first start of a thread, it is a dandy. Sure wish we had some of that white oak but we have very few. We do cut some red and pin oak but so far have left the whites alone.

This year was the first time in all my years of cutting wood that I cut White Oak and I really like the smell of it.
Smells great, doesn't it? :) Quite a few years back I split some that had been sitting in rounds for a couple of years. The smell was concentrated; It was incredible...sweet and strong! Took me forever to split that stuff because every round I cracked I would have to smell, trying to find the really exceptional ones. () I have one next door that is just a trunk and has been suspended off the ground for quite a few years. I'm hoping it will be a good one. Actually, I think the ones lying on the ground may develop a stronger aroma...

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Welcome to the forum and if you keep posting pics here, you will get along just fine. We love pics of firewood.....well I do anyway. Love white oak, if not my number one favorite.

Reactions: ScotO
Welcome to the forum and if you keep posting pics here, you will get along just fine. We love pics of firewood.....well I do anyway. Love white oak, if not my number one favorite.
Here's one from my splitting area. It is silver maple and should be good for shoulder season next spring.

Attachments

• silver maple rounds.jpg
    silver maple rounds.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: tfdchief
Thanks. I have since split most of that oak and that vanilla smell from fresh cut white oak is unforgetable. Makes me think of good oak cask aged whisky. Can't wait to burn it during a cold spell winter after next.

yep.

there's something evocative about the smell of white oak. also the feel of it. i can just feel the BTU's in that stuff. i've got some 2 year seasoned white oak that i moved out of my house in march and BACK into the woodpile cuz i REFUSED to burn it this winter. we just didn't get any cold weather to speak of and i wasn't going to waste in 40 degree weather! so now next year i'll have it seasoned 3 years and its gonna burn clean and hot.

so how do you like that saw? i almost bought a makita 64CC (dolmar) but decided on the stihl 362. i'm sure i would have been happy with either choice.

OT

Reactions: ScotO
yep.

there's something evocative about the smell of white oak. also the feel of it. i can just feel the BTU's in that stuff. i've got some 2 year seasoned white oak that i moved out of my house in march and BACK into the woodpile cuz i REFUSED to burn it this winter. we just didn't get any cold weather to speak of and i wasn't going to waste in 40 degree weather! so now next year i'll have it seasoned 3 years and its gonna burn clean and hot.

so how do you like that saw? i almost bought a makita 64CC (dolmar) but decided on the stihl 362. i'm sure i would have been happy with either choice.

OT
I am by no means an expert, but I really do like the saw. My neighbor bought a Dolmar 7900 with a 28" bar and sold me on a smaller version. He has a farm and uses it a good deal more than I would. I am happy with the power and simplicity of the operation. As long as the chain is sharp, I am confident cutting almost anything. Also, our local dealer seemed like a straight-shooter and came across as more sincere than the Stihl and Husky guys. Since I split all of my wood by hand I seek out mostly straight clean logs. My neighbors both have splitters so they are good enough to take the elbows and Y's. Looking forward to fall and more cutting.

White oak rocks. Great score. South jersey is nice and flat, unlike where I live. The Himalayas are flatter than my property....

White oak rocks. Great score. South jersey is nice and flat, unlike where I live. The Himalayas are flatter than my property....
Yes, we can pretty much pull our trucks up next to any pile. It is nice. Just have to watch out for the ticks, chiggers and the Jersey Devil.

Jeff, what are you spliting with? White oak is a bit stringey. Red / Rock are easy splitting.

Jeff, what are you spliting with? White oak is a bit stringey. Red / Rock are easy splitting.
Xman-
I actually had no problem splitting the white oak with a maul. The bigger rounds required the sledge and a wedge or two. The tree was forest grown and pretty straight and clear. I also tend to only get clean rounds knowing i have to hand split it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.