Whitfield Advantage II turns off after 1/2 hour or so

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hearth.com

Nov 2, 2010
Pacific Nortth West
I purchased a use Whitfield Advantage II insert, in excellant shape, used very little. Installed it my self, got it running, turned it on high, to see what the max out put would be, and after a half an hour or so, the combustion motor shut it's self down and the blower fan turned off after the stove was cooled off.
I replace the low limit switch, per (http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/lowlimit.htm), started it up again and the same thing happened.
My next thought is that the stove got to hot and shut it self down. Is my assumption correct or is there somthing else to check?

you say the combustion fan shuts down and then the dist blower? I would check out the combustion fan 1st. That should stay running during a shutdown until the stove temp drops. Could be the motor itself overheating, shutting down and decides to work again after its cooled off.

Did you remove and clean the combustion blower and its cavity?

If the combustion blower is shutting down then something is making it overheat, that is likely to be something in the exhaust system from the vent to the combustion blower cavity, or a blown bearing.

hearth.com said:
I purchased a use Whitfield Advantage II insert, in excellant shape, used very little. Installed it my self, got it running, turned it on high, to see what the max out put would be, and after a half an hour or so, the combustion motor shut it's self down and the blower fan turned off after the stove was cooled off.
I replace the low limit switch, per (http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/lowlimit.htm), started it up again and the same thing happened.
My next thought is that the stove got to hot and shut it self down. Is my assumption correct or is there somthing else to check?

It sounds to me that the HIGH limit switch opened. It would shut of the combustion fan and stop the auger. The room fan would continue to run until the stove cooled. The low limit switch is the one that starts the room fan when the stove is hot enough. I know, mine just went. I also believe that the high limit switch is resetable. I may be wrong of course :)

Chan

I have a Profile 20 and i have had similar problems in the past. Mine has the electric eye filter in the hopper. After a couple weeks, this amber piece of plastic gets a film of sooty material on it and the stove starts shutting down. If I tear that part out and clean it off (use electronic wipes from Walmart) the stove will run until i shut it down. I was at my whits end trying to keep the thing running, was tearing through my manual and this website trying to figure it out. Simple solutions...

I would not advise runing the stove at 5, 3 is plenty hot, your overheating the stove, open the hopper cover and see how long you can hold your hand to the front of hopper, your asking for a fire!
Run stove at 3 and see what happens

I am new to the web site....Thank you all for your help. I started the up the insert last night and only ran it on 3. It ran through the night, no problem. If I want more heat, is there something I can fix, or replace to raise the temp, of is the the nature of this stove/model?

I am new to the web site....Thank you all for your help. I started up the insert last night and only ran it on 3. It ran through the night, no problem. If I want more heat, is there something I can fix, or replace to raise the temp, of is the the nature of this stove/model?

Status
Not open for further replies.