whitfield wp4 auger problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

COCARR

Feb 10, 2011
Southern Colorado
Hi all first post on this site seems like lotta helpful people. I bought my house with a whitfield wp4 pellet stove in the basement. Prior to I had never used one. My house is 1800sqf down and 1800 up. I live in Colorado and even when temps dip below zero my little stove can warm the house all by itself to the point if the temp is above 20 I have to turn the auger and damper down or it runs you out of the house.

I bought 1 ton of pellets last year and a few days in my auger would quit working, I could hear the motor try but the auger would not move. Some work with the shopvac and it would work again. Eventually I took the stove to a service store where they replaced the auger motor. At the store they ran the stove for 3 days straight without any problems and even commented on how well it worked even compared to their bigger, expensive models. I got the stove home and hooked back up and my first batch plugged the auger again. I didnt use it anymore last year and figured my pellets were bad as the service place had not had any issues and with spring right around the corner I figured Id deal with it this year. This last week the temp was -21 and -18 so I went to the same service center and purchased some of their pellets. Ran the stove 24 hours without incident. Today I reloaded the pellets for my wife and went to work. Less then 4 hours later my wife called and the stove had bound up once again and burned out. when I came home the tray was full of pellets as it must have broke loose after the fire was out. I started it without problem. 4 hours later the auger quit working again and I let it sit for 30 minutes and tried again without problems....long story but do the augers overheat and shut down? Is it the pellets again?? Im at a loss and as I dont know much about them I figured this was worth a shot.

BTW I Vaccume the stove out everyday including the auger shute when it empties.

Sorry to double post.....Auger just quit working again. I unplugged th power cord and plugged it back in and the auger turned back on. Seems like an overheating problem wouldnt allow this.

Unfortunately you really aren't providing enough information.

The high temperature safety (if it is a high temperature shutdown) on a number of stoves automatically reset, then the other thing that shuts an auger down is the vacuum/pressure switch.

Then there is the proof of fire system.

You have to eliminate the possible causes of the shut down.

Your new motor should be able to easily break long pellets provided it is securely fastened to the auger. Have you ever seen an actual jam on your stove?

When did you last really clean your venting?

Cocarr, have you checked the condition of the nylatron bushing at the auger shaft lower end? If it's badly worn the auger can grind marks and eventually get stuck at the end plate... it did on my WP4 ( Quest + , same as yours). A new bushing three years ago was the remedy. And it's still working perfectly

$17 at Wood Heat Stoves :

http://woodheatstoves.com/index.php...4f8829a8105c2dee1f4a&keyword=Nylatron+bushing

Thanks for your advise guys. I will look at the bushing although I am not convinced that it is mechanical since I can un-plug the unit and the auger works again immediately. Seems like it must be electrical or a heat sensor. Un-fortunately I am new to them so I have to start from scratch. I will defiately look at the bushing though.

Dave check PM

Make sure the vacuum sensor switch is working, and clean the hose and the barb it slides onto on each end for ash plugging it.....no vacuum at the switch = auger gets turned off.

Just bought a used Whitfield Quest from a private party. Ran great for about a week, then it stopped. Hopper is full. Motor wants to turn but cannot. Loosened the auger collar and it was tight turning one way, but could move a little the opposite. So went back and forth with the collar and it broke free. Dust came out by the burn pot. There is a new motor and auger in it. The dealer knows the guy that sold it. It does not have the new bearing on the plate. The brass bushing does not turn easily in the plate, but it the hole seams to be wore.

welcome warmisgreat....if you can wobble the auger around in the tube, you probably need a new bushing or mounting plate or both. that motor is 120V, so you could plug it directly to power to make sure it works ok. you could have just had a blockage at the top of the auger as well. It should spin fairly freely without the auger motor mounted on there.

When installed the auger moves up and down about 1/32''. But also the other night the heat blower would go off and on. Just used to my outside wood boiler, light it and forget it.

Stovensen said:
Cocarr, have you checked the condition of the nylatron bushing at the auger shaft lower end? If it's badly worn the auger can grind marks and eventually get stuck at the end plate... it did on my WP4 ( Quest + , same as yours). A new bushing three years ago was the remedy. And it's still working perfectly

$17 at Wood Heat Stoves :

http://woodheatstoves.com/index.php...4f8829a8105c2dee1f4a&keyword=Nylatron+bushing

thanks, but if he has the original brass bushing, a new endplate is also needed

Status
Not open for further replies.