Who has a wood burner back up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
Just wondering who does and what they have? Im thinking of getting a Woodstock soapstone. Id have to buy wood though, there arent any trees on the prarie.

I have an Avalon wood stove fireplace insert in my living room. I get enough wood from wind fallen trees on my property every year to fuel it. Though I only fire it up when the weather dips into the thirties. It heats the house pretty well, especially after the mass of bricks around it get heated up. Even after the fire goes out, the heat from the brickwork keeps things warm all night.

Dave

As I raise my hand and say "Me-Me-Me"! :p

I have an older wood/coal stove that I use to assist the pellet stove when it gets really cold(not very often), Or when I loose power. The last cord of wood has been in the basement 4 seasons and I still have 1/2 of it left.

You can also burn the saw dust logs or blocks if wood isn't a good option. You can get them from most places that sell pellets. I haven't tried them, But hear they work pretty well.

I hung onto my old Earth Stove insert which is in the basement. Needs some repair but it's going to be my backup/SHTF stove. I have several cords of wood that will take me years (now) to burn through. Wife wants a second pellet stove for down there instead.

I have a wood burning insert on the kitchen side of my house. Pellet insert is on the living room side.

I'll never get rid of the wood burner. It was nice having heat a few years back after an ice storm knocked out power for a day. I've got generators, but I don't mind roughing it for a day or so in the winter as long as the house stays warm.

Hi guys have two pellet stoves and love their convenience, have a backup gen to run them too- but will have a woodstove as long as I can do it, nothing heats your old tired bones like a woodstove. Keep warm

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress FPI AC pellet
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood (burning right now)

Status
Not open for further replies.