Who is already doing 24/7?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
certified106 said:
24/7 for 4 days now. I just got tired of the heat up cool down cycle. The house has been staying right around 74° which makes the wife and dog happy.
+1 - seems easier to just keep the stove warm and capable of easy starts, than the let the stove go cold for the sake of saving one small/medium fire per day. Also, I like keeping the house in the low 70's, rather than letting the house dip to the 60's and having to rewarm the space (we have a larger house). Cheers!

not burning 24/7 yet. may start tomerow well for a few days the outside temps are up and down here.

Haven't even fired up the stove since Sunday - and it is a new stove and I want to play with it! We are having some pretty wild swings in temps here, highs in the 40s most of last week, in the mid 70s this week and back down to the 50s and 60s by the weekend and next week.

We usually start having fires nightly in October and would have again this year if we were not in the middle of our project. By mid November, it is usually morning and late afternoon and evening. Sometime in December and through the first of April, we typically had the fireplace going anytime we were home. And spent a lot of time being cold! I'm really curious how things are going to be with the new stove!

we were down to 25 last night, our first 24 hr burn. Back to shoulder burns today...

CTburning said:
My stove is made for 24/7 burning and I burn that way as much as I can. I just do two fires a day, every 12 hours and if the house is still warm when I come home from work, I'll have a smaller fire at night.

I agree. My Fireview has been going 24/7 since Friday too. It has been a gentle 24/7 with my crappy shoulder wood. The last couple nights I have actually loaded it to the gills as the am temps have been in the high 20s. We have been doing 3 light feedings a day with the night one a little bigger than the others. I don't really have the patience to be starting new fires so I just keep it going all the time.

No 24/7 burning here, an evening fire seems to be all I need to keep the house temps up over 70 til the next evening. The sun has been helping heat the place lately as well. Kind of a pita building a fire every night but I'm saving a lot of wood. I figure 24/7 burning won't happen til the highs dip into the low 40's or 30's.

I have had a night and morning fire the last few days because we were dipping into the high twenties at night. I bank the coals about noon and that holds the place during the day and gives coals to start after sundown. Well I screwed up tonight. Sun goes down and I uncover the coals and start three good sized splits. Then I sit down and look at the forecast and we are supposed to have rain and mid forties tonight. It is gonna get a little warm in the joint while this stuff burns down.

I've been building a good size fire at night, and a smaller one in the morning. Mostly softwood with some elm in the back for
morning coals. Still pretty mild temps here, although we're going to cool down for a couple of days with highs in the 40's and
lows in the 20's.

certified106 said:
24/7 for 4 days now. I just got tired of the heat up cool down cycle. The house has been staying right around 74° which makes the wife and dog happy.
Same here.Been burning cut-offs crotch and butts. Crotch and butts,ohhh-yeah.

Im burning every night and every morning. During the day I'll let it die down. We're still in the 50s during the day but down to low 30's at night. I do leave the central air fan on to circulate the air tho. This year Im going to try to not use the central heat at all.

Only burning small fires at night here in Colorado Springs. High for tomorrow supposed to near 80 degrees!!! I am worried about ski season...will it ever snow???

Up to now, just a few fires. We've had a brief warm spell here. Hit a record today of 73F. But it looks like this will change after the weekend. We may be burning more regularly soon.

dispatcher101 said:
Only burning small fires at night here in Colorado Springs. High for tomorrow supposed to near 80 degrees!!! I am worried about ski season...will it ever snow???

I have a friend in Crestone, he says the same thing, weather is definitely off from the norm.

BeGreen said:
Up to now, just a few fires. We've had a brief warm spell here. Hit a record today of 73F. But it looks like this will change after the weekend. We may be burning more regularly soon.

Same here Green, weather is on a roller coaster ride. After the warm front passes (rain for today and friday) we should be back to normal here. Lower 30's at night, upper 40's to 50 in the day. Nice time of the year to get rid of the pile of misfit pieces.

I'm "almost" 24/7 now, but at least I'm still running small loads. Being one of those rebel "bio-brick" burners I can adjust my burn cycles by just adding more or less bricks when I load it out for a cycle. I've been night only for about the last 2 weeks, but now that the days are staying cooler, the wife wants to be warm during the day, imagine that.

agartner said:
I'm "almost" 24/7 now, but at least I'm still running small loads. Being one of those rebel "bio-brick" burners I can adjust my burn cycles by just adding more or less bricks when I load it out for a cycle. I've been night only for about the last 2 weeks, but now that the days are staying cooler, the wife wants to be warm during the day, imagine that.

Just out of curiosity, what is the wood to bio brick ratio in consumption? I was originally going to ask you how much wood you used being a resident of southern NH and then saw that you are a bio-brick user. While on the same subject, what is the cost difference as well????

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.