Who is ready for the blizzard ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then they can't be driving on Nokian Hakka 8s :)

Most states don't allow studded tires on passenger cars. Or maybe I should say that I KNOW that Illinois doesn't.

I live in Quebec. Snow/ice/slush is part of my life 4-5 months a year. Not a single accident yet. Proper snow tires and adjusted speed for the road conditions allows for everyone to get home safe and sound. Oh, and did I mention keeping more than 10 feet of space between you and the car in front of you is fairly important when driving 45mph?? lol

Then they can't be driving on Nokian Hakka 8s :)

http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-8/

Had a guy slide across into my lane the other day too. Had to ditch it into a snow bank. This was on local roads so no biggie but I have no idea how this guy thought he could do what he tried to do. Today was one of the worst (not the worst) conditions I've ever seen. Mostly because the road looked fairly clear. Still no excuse, I figured out it was bad and drove at an appropriate speed. Guarantee speed was an issue. Some of these knuckleheads were pretty far into the weeds.

I figured out it was bad and drove at an appropriate speed
+10000. Most people assume that if it is black, it is pave. That's why black ice kills. I always do break tests when I believe it to be icy just to make sure. The difference between 45 mph and 65 mph is about 4 minutes on my commute to work and is not worth my life. And that coming from a guy who loves to drive fast on paved and closed off snowy roads (no public allowed).

Most states don't allow studded tires on passenger cars. Or maybe I should say that I KNOW that Illinois doesn't.
I checked out this link: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/studded-tires/ A quick overview shows that only 10 states prohibit them. And I wouldn't be overly concerned with winter tires as the weather in those states is fairly mild.

In Quebec winter tires are mandatory between December 15th and March 15th. Studded tires have time restrictions (to save the roads when the thaw bwgins). All season tires are good for places that don't go below 5-6 C.

Try these ones out Jags http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

Andrew

Reactions: Swedishchef
I checked out this link: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/studded-tires/ A quick overview shows that only 10 states prohibit them. And I wouldn't be overly concerned with winter tires as the weather in those states is fairly mild.

In Quebec winter tires are mandatory between December 15th and March 15th. Studded tires have time restrictions (to save the roads when the thaw bwgins). All season tires are good for places that don't go below 5-6 C.

Try these ones out Jags http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

Andrew

HehHeh . . . third link I've seen to the Nokians . . . you're not getting a kick back from them are you? ;) I almost went with Nokians instead of the General Altimax Arctics . . . but the ones I was looking at were made in Russia or something like that . . .

I'll have to check out those tires out the next go around.

Mounted up some Coppers on my girls Jeep. Her complaints have been reduced fuel mileage and road noise. But that's the trade off for real snow tires. She hasn't gotten stuck yet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 300
Most Nokians are made in Finland. :)

NO kickbacks. Just promoting the best winter tire out there. Great tires = safe ride.

I was actually surprised to find these particular tires were Russian.

I know that Nokian has a factory or two there due to the large population of people using winter tires. Scandinavian countries as well as Russia almost all use winter tires. It's a large consumer basin, saves on export and shipping costs I guess!

Andrew

My parents always ran studded tires on their RWD cars, up thru the 1990's. I believe PA still allows them, but they do limit the months you can run them. I remember installing them Thankgiving, and pulling them off before Easter, every year. They make an impressive difference on ice, particularly on RWD cars.

the more things change the more they stay the same. coastal areas in Jan '15 storm hit almost as hard as '78

big pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember being stuck in a cold house dark house for 4 days. No wood stove, no fireplace and no generator. Eating cold food out of a can. Ran out of milk and bread. We didn't know it was going to be such a big storm. Hmmm, maybe that's why the shelves go bare every time we get hit with a storm.

In the first week of buying my house, I bought a gen. Then I got a wood stove.
Never again!

Well - it looks like we're gonna get another spanking. Supposed to snow from tonight through Monday night. Some where between a foot or two.

I heard on the radio that Boston had a 7-day record with that big storm and the snow afterwards. Man - there's some grumpy people down there. Snow in the city ain't fun.

Now I'm grumpy - I have to try to fly out of Logan Monday morning.
The Happy Train.jpg

Well - it looks like we're gonna get another spanking. Supposed to snow from tonight through Monday night. Some where between a foot or two.

I heard on the radio that Boston had a 7-day record with that big storm and the snow afterwards. Man - there's some grumpy people down there. Snow in the city ain't fun.

Now I'm grumpy - I have to try to fly out of Logan Monday morning.
View attachment 152864

I feel your pain . . . I hate flying out of Logan on a good day . . . on a storm day it may be pretty rough.

Up here I think they're only talking about 4 inches or so.

Took the sled out Friday and Saturday . . . buried it several times . . . almost too much snow . . . or at least too much powdery snow.

I feel your pain . . . I hate dislike flying out of Logan anywhere on a good day

I'm in aviation safety and I don't worry about crashing - I worry about delays and being packed like cattle. The flight schedules are so optimized, that one little storm anywhere in the country can snarl the whole mess.

I hear you about the powder. It's so light and fluffy that the snow-shoeing was a real work-out.

gfs, via dr. maue on twitter, thinks the cold over done. like the snow forecast. sorry for the sizing

pbs_large.png

Last edited by a moderator:
gfs, via dr. maue on twitter, thinks the cold over done. like the snow forecast.

So the blue bars are snow depth and the black/red lines are temp? What's the scale on the bottom? I'm having a hard time figuring that out - even after my second cup of coffee.

So the blue bars are snow depth and the black/red lines are temp? What's the scale on the bottom? I'm having a hard time figuring that out - even after my second cup of coffee.
top liquid precip, bottom snow. bottom total seems to only add 10-12 inches fri. just an old run of the mill one footer. not the two footer that they are yappin about. more talk about the cold against the norms with this model

Last edited:
gfs, via dr. maue on twitter, thinks the cold over done. like the snow forecast. sorry for the sizing

View attachment 152969
To reduce the sizing, save the image to the desktop or the downloads folder. Then, use the Upload a File button next to the Post Reply button. Upload the image and place the thumbnail in the post.

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
Took my older son to Potsdam this weekend to see college and audition. Its an 8 hr trip for us, the last 2 hrs of which are secondary roads. Off the NY Thruway the first road west is Blue Ridge Rd (aka Donner Pass :) ). They pretty much plow it just enough to make it passable then sand. Started snowing hard as soon as we hit it. 90 miles in steady snow, on dark, winding roads I've never been on. At times nobody around for miles. Subie did good but could have used a true winter tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.