Whoops, Hearth depth is 2" too short...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Hearth Supporter
Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
I have 21" of hearth depth and the requirements for the Lopi Freedom insert is 23", since I am going with it extended out, it says I need 16" in front of the stove but I have only 14", is it that big of a deal since the hearth sits 6" off the floor, which is carpeted. Do I need to get a hearth extender or will I be ok?

Scott

Easy answer, extend the hearth. Minimum clearnaces are there for a reason, follow them wisely. You and your carpet will be much happier.

The more I mess with these things, the more I see the need for that hearth length. I would recommend you put a row of 12" tiles in front of the hearth. As posted above, your carpet will look much better for it.

Has anyone heard of a hearth rug? I was told by a person recently and did not know if they were kidding me or not.... They said it was fire proof material, if so what is it?

If you can extend the hearth in some way, do it. I have only about 10 inches in front of mine and have not extended mine yet, though I plan on it. It is what it is, be careful.

I was reading about hearth pads as well and was wondering if I could use one of those, since all I need is 2".

So, would a hearth pad be acceptable or not?

Scott

A hearth pad will work and can be removed in the non-burning season if desired. I am less a fan of hearth carpets as a solution, but in this circumstance, it seems like it would also be sufficient. The best long term solution though it to make the extension permanent by extending the hearth either at full height or with a nice tiled border at floor level.

I would love to extend it but I am afraid that they won't be able to match the 30 year old bricks and don't really want to re-do the entire thing...

Scott

As Dakotas Dad said above, you don't need to extend the existing brick hearth, you only need flying ember protection. A row (or more if you want/need a place to store some wood for the day) of tiles works fine. Or the hearth rug or pad can work if they aren't a tripping hazard.

I'm a big fan of not only meeting minimum requirements, but exceeding them . . . especially when it comes to something that could burn my dream house down. Me . . . I might do a nice course of tile or stone work in front of the raised hearth . . . give it a nice "border" look to "frame" the brick hearth . . . I think this could be done easily and if you choose the right stone or tile could actually enhance the look of the hearth while making things safer.

The problem as I see it . . . embers popping out and ash spilling out . . . can make for a dirty or melted carpet in the best case scenario as you will get embers that will pop or fall out on to the hearth and they will travel a bit . . . and in the worse case situation one of those hot embers may not be noticed right away until the smoke detectors sound several hours later.

I have used the fire resistant harth pad for wood burning fireplace and wood burning stove no problem. Only watch for hot sparks the can burn little holes in them. I just kept a spray bottle of water near by. I still use the same hearth pad in front of my gas stove. Keeps the carpet cooler. My fire place is at floor level. My wood stove sat inside of fir place Met the Clarence on the harth ok but once in a while you will get one of the pop corn sparks.

Get one of these... They come in a few different colors. I have hard wood floors so i lay a wool rug down, and then the stone on top of it.

Attachments

• hearth extend stone11.jpg
    hearth extend stone11.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 403
  • mantle.jpg
    mantle.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 403
stejus said:
Get one of these... They come in a few different colors. I have hard wood floors so i lay a wool rug down, and then the stone on top of it.

Hehheh . . . like the arrow . . . at first I was thinking . . . "What . . . put down a flat screen TV in front of the woodstove . . . no, wait a minute . . . he's saying to put down the cardboard box the flatscreen TV was boxed in for the front of the woodstove." ;)

Incidentally, I like this idea . . . very classy looking.

Thanks to all, We are looking at either getting a piece of granite to match the hearth shelf or getting a hearth extension.

Scott

Scoooter said:
Thanks to all, We are looking at either getting a piece of granite to match the hearth shelf or getting a hearth extension.

Scott

Smart move. Many guys in this situation would try and convince themselves that size doesn't matter. I think you are making the smart more. I bet a piece of granite to match would look good.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.