why are block off plates not needed in Canada?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clanky44

Nov 29, 2018
Ontario, Canada
We're looking to purchase a new wood burning stove insert and we're looking at a few options (Cabello 1700, Vermont Casting Montpellier, Regency i2400) Our front runner is the Cabello 1700. Going through this forum it seems that a block off plate is a good idea. The PDF installation instruction for the Cabello 1700 say that block off plates are mandatory in the USA but it does not mention Canada.

Are installers here in Canada just taking advantage of minimal standards to get away with not bothering to install a block off plate? Same goes with a lined flue.

Should we push our installers to do a block off plate and lined flue?

Will it meet the warranty/WETT certificate needs?

(The wood burning stove will be placed within the house, inside of a masonry internal fireplace).

My VC manual says that in Canada:

"This fireplace insert must be installed with a continuous chimney liner of 6" (152 mm) diameter extending from the fireplace insert to the top of the chimney"

So i guess because it has to have a full liner all the way from the insert to the top that a block off plate isn't necessary.

We're looking to purchase a new wood burning stove insert and we're looking at a few options (Cabello 1700, Vermont Casting Montpellier, Regency i2400) Our front runner is the Cabello 1700. Going through this forum it seems that a block off plate is a good idea. The PDF installation instruction for the Cabello 1700 say that block off plates are mandatory in the USA but it does not mention Canada.

Are installers here in Canada just taking advantage of minimal standards to get away with not bothering to install a block off plate? Same goes with a lined flue.

Should we push our installers to do a block off plate and lined flue?

Will it meet the warranty/WETT certificate needs?

(The wood burning stove will be placed within the house, inside of a masonry internal fireplace).
A blockoff plate is only required in the us if you do a direct connect which is a short section of stainless liner run into the clay. If a full liner is installed it is not necessary. But no matter what a blockoff plate is very desirable. And yes you need a full liner probably an insulated one.

Ok for us non insert guys, whats a block off plate

Ok for us non insert guys, whats a block off plate
A block off plate is a sheet metal (ideally 24 gauge) boundary placed above the stove and usually insulated with Roxul rockboard and sealed with fireproof silicone. It's used to aid in draft and to prevent heat loss when the stove is not in use. It also limits the heat loss/bleed to the masonry fireplace if it's an outer wall fireplace.

A block off plate is a sheet metal (ideally 24 gauge) boundary placed above the stove and usually insulated with Roxul rockboard and sealed with fireproof silicone. It's used to aid in draft and to prevent heat loss when the stove is not in use. It also limits the heat loss/bleed to the masonry fireplace if it's an outer wall fireplace.
All correct other than the fact that a blockoff plate has nothing to do with draft at all. It is all about keeping more of the stoves heat in the house.

Reactions: Clanky44
Maybe in Canada, the warm air that you worked so hard to warm up is just a little too polite to flee the house via the chimney.

why are block off plates not needed in Canada?

South of the border, the politeness levels degrade and physics is free to push the warm air out of the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Closing your front door and windows in the winter, is also optional here in Canada... but I do it anyways.

A block off plate makes good sense from a building physics perspective regardless of what the rules say.

Closing your front door and windows in the winter, is also optional here in Canada... but I do it anyways.

A block off plate makes good sense from a building physics perspective regardless of what the rules say.

I agree, unfortunately it seems that some installers are using the manufacturers instructions as an excuse to not go beyond the minimum.

I agree, unfortunately it seems that some installers are using the manufacturers instructions as an excuse to not go beyond the minimum.
Installer often are trying to stay competitive with their pricing. They may not do many (if any) block-off plates and may not have that option in their pricing guide. Still, if you are paying the bill it is your prerogative to ask for a block-off plate as an extra.

Installer often are trying to stay competitive with their pricing. They may not do many (if any) block-off plates and may not have that option in their pricing guide. Still, if you are paying the bill it is your prerogative to ask for a block-off plate as an extra.

Definitely will continue to look for an installer that can install the stove and a block off plate and provide us with a WETT certificate. We've made it clear to the installers that we're willing to spend more. It's a priority for us and our new cottage.